Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email app data usage on S23 Ultra - big problem!

(Topic created on: 17-03-2023 05:59 PM)
DanNorway
Apprentice
Options

Like my previous phone (S21 Ultra), the email app suddenly starts to use a hugh amount of data. The Samsung email app has used about 8 GB on mobile and 16 GB on Wifi. This is a serious problem and Samsung has to do something about this!

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
AndrewL
Options

@DanNorway: If you are experiencing a high amount of Mobile Data usage with the email app, then you may wish to adjust your Sync schedule settings to see if this helps. To do this, open the Email app > Tap the 3 lines in the top left > Tap the cog in the top right of the pop-up window > Select your account > Sync schedule > Set sync schedule (I recommend 'Manual') > Sync schedule while roaming > Manual. This way you can prevent the high level of background data usage generated by the regular syncing of your inbox, and this should significantly reduce your overall data usage as a result. 

You also have the option of heading to Settings > Connections > Data usage > Data saver, and toggling this option on. This is another means of reducing your background activity, but it will require you to open the Email app to sync your inbox. 

DanNorway
Apprentice
Options

Why does the app need access to erase my phone and many other features?

Screenshot_20230317_192814_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
DanNorway
Apprentice
Options

The app has been working fine for a long time and then suddenly starts to send and recieve hugh amounts of data, even when attachments is not downloaded?

0 Likes
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
Is you phone connected via WiFi or mobile data ?? As WiFi would cut the amount of mobile data been used.
DanNorway
Apprentice
Options

Both wifi and mobile data.

0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
You can change your sync frequency, turn off automatically download attachments and change your privacy settings to stop the app sending personal details and diagnostic info etc as they all constantly use data, battery and can run in the background even if your not using the app. Hope this helps
DanNorway
Apprentice
Options

Hi @AndrewL , @PaulC59  and @nowdeleted 
I've re-installed the app yesterday and the problem is gone - just like it did on my S21 Ultra.
Thanks for all the help!

PaulM1
Options

Thanks for updating the thread, @DanNorway, and letting us know that the issue is now resolved. 👍

FC15
First Poster
Options

Same problem on Galaxy S21 Ultra. Started two months ago and wipes out all available data. Email boxes are limited to 10KB per message and two weeks of Inbox update; even if they where not, the 20GB it downloads in few days (before it gets throttled by the service provider) is bigger than the whole mailbox on the Exchange server. SO, WHAT IS IT DOWNLOADING? Furthermore, I have seen this problem mentioned on the internet in 2019. By now, Samsung should know what the problem is and have it solved, right?

0 Likes