Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Do not disturb passes notifications

(Topic created on: a month ago)
gMAKAVELI
Journeyman
Options

Hello, it seems to be a straightforward thing, which however isn't working.

I want all notifications to come but don't make any sound and/or vibrate when do-not-disturb mode is on.

So in DND settings, I have App notifications - None allowed. But still, when the mode is on, each notification (WhatsApp, Viber, etc.) makes sound and vibration when arrives.

Am I missing something?

I tried to achieve it with the Routine or Sleep mode - but for notifications to be completely silent, I need to turn on Mute mode on the phone, which is not what I want (because I need some calls to be allowed during DND; and it seems I cannot put mute mode for the phone and adjust volume level for calls).

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
gMAKAVELI
Journeyman
Options

Uh oh, I found an answer.

I did allow "Messages from contacts" in the DND settings.

Direct messages on Viber/WhatsApp appeared to be being treated as messages in that section (I thought only SMS were included there).

After I disabled "Messages from contacts" to "Messages - none" it's working as expected.

The topic can be closed, however, it might be a reference for someone in the future.

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
keith30
Mastermind
Options
If you don't want to hear any sounds then all the apps need to be in silent mode.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@gMAKAVELI: If you have App notifications set to 'None allowed', then this should mute any notifications you receive while Do not disturb is active. Are you certain that you have toggled on Do not disturb i.e. if you head to Settings > Notifications > Do not disturb, is the switch to the right of Do not disturb highlighted in blue, and toggled to the right? If so, is the issue affecting all apps, or just the ones you mentioned? 

0 Likes
gMAKAVELI
Journeyman
Options

@keith30 I need this only when do-not-disturb mode is on, I highlighted it in my message. It seems that cannot be done with some routine or DND settings.

@AndrewL thanks for your instructions.

DND was enabled, and I got a notification about that in a status bar. The only thing it was enabled not manually, but by the schedule. Let me double-check that today's evening when the schedule is up and running again.

All apps were affected, the ones I mentioned were for example.

I'll post an update soon, thanks again.

gMAKAVELI
Journeyman
Options

Hello, here is an update.

I checked multiple messenger apps - Viber, WhatsApp, and Telegram - and when I received a personal message - the notification made a sound and vibration, each time. 

When there is a response from the Telegram bot - the notification just arrives as it should, without sound/vibration.

It seems to me there is something related to priority, maybe direct messages are being treated as high-priority notifications and the system doesn't apply DND rules to such. However, it's a mystery for me, why it's working like that and how to change it.

0 Likes
gMAKAVELI
Journeyman
Options

What makes me think the issue is in the priority - when I make a routine to enable DND by schedule (I put additional sound changes in that routine) I see next in the DND settings - App rules, Priority only in addition to Modes and Routines:

gMAKAVELI_0-1723964463715.png

Here is a routine configured and it has nothing about App rules or Priority only tuning:

gMAKAVELI_1-1723964574729.png

* with the routing above at least I can remove the sound when the notification arrives, but the vibration is still present! Which is what I'm trying to remove as well.

It is worth mentioning that if I disable/delete a routine and enable DND directly, I'm facing the same issue with the notifications, so routine isn't a cause for it.

0 Likes
gMAKAVELI
Journeyman
Options

Also an additional argument about priority - even if I select Hide all notifications in DND settings:

gMAKAVELI_2-1723968941351.png

It states "Critical notifications will never be hidden" - and I continue to receive direct message notifications with sound and vibration.

But I strongly believe that (from the user perspective) I should be able to manage this priority thing and to really mute notifications.

PS. Just realized that I created a topic in the S24 series while I have S23 Ultra. Not sure if that matters, but if it is, could moderators please move it to S23 directory?

0 Likes
Solution
gMAKAVELI
Journeyman
Options

Uh oh, I found an answer.

I did allow "Messages from contacts" in the DND settings.

Direct messages on Viber/WhatsApp appeared to be being treated as messages in that section (I thought only SMS were included there).

After I disabled "Messages from contacts" to "Messages - none" it's working as expected.

The topic can be closed, however, it might be a reference for someone in the future.

0 Likes