Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed

(Topic created on: 04-06-2023 11:11 AM)
TonyTh
First Poster
Options
Just upgraded from Samsung S7 to S23. Notice Samsung Health v 6.23.5.027 is running on both phones but no heart rate monitor on S23. I do not want a smart watch so rely on using the place finger on camera technique. This was an essential app to monitor my Atrial Fibrillation and can no longer do it. Very disappointed and feel hard done by. Any alternatives?
9 REPLIES 9
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I'm not sure if an app exists @TonyTh 

You'd need to have a look in the Playstore.

I appreciate your not wanting to use a smartwatch. I do so have the option on mine.

I appreciate your viewpoint on the removal of this feature.

Maybe send some feedback via your Samsung Members app too.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
They stopped using the heart rate monitor by the camera module some years ago now.
With the new technology like smart watches that will be more accurate now, this feature was seen as no longer needed.
I can't imagine it would have been that informative with regards to Atrial Fibrillation. As that wasn't what it was designed for. Plus for medical issues such as this, you really should be using medical measuring equipment.
Heart rate monitors on things like smart watches, are only a guide. So definitely shouldn't be used to rely on.
Usually says in the instructions, if you suspect anything to seek medical advice
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I have Atrial Fibrilation and use a withings scan watch and other devices which I use that all work via wifi and Bluetooth, which all update my phone via a health mate app, which also can update into Google health if you wish and you can run detailed reports etc. I don't think a phone or even many smart watches are suitable for monitoring actual health conditions as whilst they provide useful prompts and information, it may not be accurate enough or meet the necessary standards for health care professionals etc. I would recommend doing some research via the NHS etc and get Bluetooth devices etc from an approved list that meet appropriate standards which are not always expensive but it is very important to make sure devices used to monitor health conditions are approved by the appropriate health organisation as some conditions can be life threatening if not picked up correctly. I can't stress enough the importance of getting appropriate devices that are approved by the appropriate medical professionals and organisations. A simple call to your Drs surgery can be useful as they may already have info at hand that can help. I hope this helps
IndiW
Hotshot
Options
If you want High Quality 3rd party Apps for Health/Fitness then Apple is the way forward

If you want simple or Basic 3rd party backup with fantastic Cameras then Samsung is the way

What you can do is, conduct an independent research Android vs Apple, then you will see who the King 👑 is
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Apple smart watches etc are not the most accurate and again are just guide information.
For Instance I question the step counts I get on my Apple watch ultra
Even apple warn that if you suspect anything to visit a health professional.
IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Agree,
however the post is NOT referring to a "device", it's referring to an app (says, it was an essential app)

So for High quality apps, Apple is the best
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The last Samsung mobile with the heart rate sensor was the S10 and whilst at the time was rated to be fairly accurate bound to be deviations and depended on precise use. Some information here https://mobiletechaddicts.com/how-accurate-is-samsung-s10-heart-rate-monitor/   However as has been mentioned Smart Watches were  viewed as being more effective and the   technology has continued to improve.  You really need an ECG to detect any Atrial Fibrillation and whilst smart watches have this function intended as a guide and not medical diagnosis.  if you have this condition would need medical advice and official equipment.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
You make some good points about smart watches, I spent a long time digging around researching devices but every device has limitations and are not suitable to rely on alone for medical purposes. I treat warnings and results from my watch as a prompt to look further and investigate. I chose withings simply because it has a good reputation and the battery only needs charging once a month whereas Apple watches barely last 18hrs on a full charge it also has a classic look so is good for both formal and informal use. Re Apple Vs Samsung? I would say they are very similar with Samsung being a bit cheaper and a longer battery life so if you use a Samsung phone then it would make sense to go with Samsung if it suits your needs similar if you have an iPhone then it would make sense to get an apple watch but I can't see myself ever downgrading from Android to iOS but it's a matter of personal preference. With regard to apps, any app will only ever be as good as the device updating it but as I pointed out earlier my concern would be if someone was relying on their phone alone to track an existing medical condition. I think they are good as a guide, prompt or reminder and can provide useful data reports etc they are not a substitute for professional medical advice and support. Health professionals will often supply medical grade devices for patients with back up advice and support.
0 Likes
jude52
First Poster
Options
I beg to disagree. Even my GP and the A&E doctor could understand why I used it when I showed them the live pulse trace. In my case, it shows up atrial fibrillation attacks big time, enabling me to check that an attack is real (not just palpitations or ectopic beats) and get to A&E. To date, it has NEVER been wrong. Users just need to be aware that this is a pulse monitor not an ECG, but it will show the irregular "squiggles" in the pulse caused by afib despite the app disregarding these all-important aberrations and reading the heartrate as normal (or in a severe attack, even being unable to give a pulse rate). No smart watch I have tried can do this (and yes, I have two, both different makes and both totally useless). Samsung do not care about what their users want. If they did, they would make the old app available for download. For them, I'm convinced it's about selling expensive accessories. I bitterly regretted replacing my old S9 with the S20. So much so, that I bought a second-hand S9 to replace the old one. Those of us who suffer from afib know that the app is not for medical diagnosis: we're not ***** and are already under strict medical supervision, but we also know that it can help many of us manage the condition, especially those like myself who have to go to A&E every time because the condition cannot be controlled with the usual medications. I can detect an attack sooner and get in for treatment much faster thanks to the old app.
0 Likes