Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200mp very soft edges

(Topic created on: 12-03-2023 11:08 PM)
djd711
Journeyman
Options
I have taken some 200mp images and noticed the edges of the images are very soft, almost blurred.

I do know lenses are usually softer on the corners but this is really quite bad I think. My old s21 ultra had the same issue with its 108mp mode. 

Here are screenshots from the same 200mp image all zoomed to the same amount, left, center, right. 

Left edge

Center

Right edge

Is this normal? 

4 REPLIES 4
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

Sadly it can be.

It's Samsung software trying to manage the physical limitations of the lense - badly.

It's unlikely be resolved, as you say this has been present for the last few Ultra models. The best thing to do is to manually crop the photo if it is bothersome.

Shamrock_Sean
Voyager
Options
Mine is sharp to the edges and I find 50mp mode better than 200mp. The details are great but often I find you need to keep still for a few seconds otherwise some parts of the 200mp images can blur slightly
0 Likes
Aronovic
Pathfinder
Options
Maybe it's the shutter speed used in the 200mp image. Or even just the pixel binning process in general employed by samsung.

Unless you are using bigger lenses you are unfortunately at a physical limitations set by the hardware.

The sharpest part of any image is usually the centre. You could use focus stacking to capture more dimension in a scene as long there isn't too much movement.

0 Likes
N3wton
Explorer
Options
Samsung cameras in my opinion are over hyped, the difference between my S23U and my Vivo X90 Pro Plus images is night and day. The Vivo is an exceptionally good phone image wise, it just lacks the software to be a daily driver. I don't even bother using the 200/50mpx camera on the ultra as the quality is disappointing regarding landscapes. And yesterday the portrait mode gave some very disappointing images of my dog by a river. Packing more pixels in a smaller sensor, no matter what anybody says, leads to pixel binned poor image quality. At least the Vivo as a larger sensor, hence the better quality images. I have to take both out if I am in the mountains to get the image quality I expect from a phone camera.
0 Likes