Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A more detailed camera review...

(Topic created on: 15-02-2023 08:46 PM)
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
To be clear, I am not a professional photographer nor am I affiliated with Samsung...I am a photography 'enthusiast' 😁

Following a couple days in London with the family...I was able to better test the camera system with some observations:

The Good

In short, the new sensor can take some INCREDIBLE shots and for me, the sweet spot for the 'enthusiast' is the 50mp mode. 200mp shots are good but.. that file size.. 🤦. The 50's are notably softer (in a good way) then the standard 12's which incomparisons seem too sharp. It might be subtle to some, but it's a far more pleasing photo with a more DSLR look.

To illustrate (no edit)

50mp - soft, yet detailed with depth (focus is on background)

12mp - very sharp and loses some atmosphere (focus is on background, but foreground also seems focused which loses depth)

Another example:

50mp

12mp

Natural bokeh (background blur / i.e not portrait mode / artificial blur) is good which means you can get close focussed images like this with a blurred background:

12mp

12mp

Including at night:

12mp

Portrait mode is excellent, I generally found myself lowering it to 3 or less for a more natural fall off / blur

Portrait mode - Illustrated here by my mate Barry the bulldog

The Bad

Ok take the word 'bad' here with a pinch of salt, this is not BAD but it would ruin my sub titles to say 'the needs improvement'

Other than the aforementioned over sharpened 12mp main lens, I found it can sometimes be TOO sensitive to light and so images can look blown out. I wasn't planning on writing this so have already deleted the photos I didn't think looked great, but as a rough example:

Blown out, poor detail and bright

The other lens' are of course not as strong during low light / night time, as demonstrated below with a noisy, grainy image (admittedly tricky conditions with bright lights...but still)

3x night time, not great - noisy and suffers with poor quality

The Ugly 

Computer says no

Yep, nothing is perfect and this is still new hardware, newish software and stuff goes wrong. 

When trying out expert raw continuous exposures, the camera would start flicking through taking photos, the app would crash, yet I could still here the camera flicking taking hundreds of images like a switch was stuck...closing the app didn't help and only a restart could fix it - this has bee reported to Samsung via members

To Conclude...

Some of my favourites over the past 2 days:

Looking forward to some camera updates!

Thanks for reading.
3 REPLIES 3
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
Have you tried casting them to your smart TV, assuming you have one? If would be interesting to see how the 12mp vs 50mp pictures look on a larger screen.
I've taken pictures using my A53 5G and used Smart View to cast them to my 55" 4k Samsung TV. I've been blown away by how good even mine look.
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
I haven't yet, I will check and revert back - I regularly did this will S22 Ultra photos/videos so it's a good point to check.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Fantastic shots there 👏 @GusB 

Thank you also for your very helpful insights.

I'm very much a click and take a photo type of person usually involving family and grandchildren  !

I feel I don't take enough advantage of what the camera settings and functions can achieve to be honest.

One setting I did choose to turn Off was the ' scene optimiser ' in the camera settings which I found provided me the photo quality I personally wanted.

Again thank you. 👍 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "