Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi + Mobile Data issue

(Topic created on: 22-08-2022 01:40 AM)
allen5589
First Poster
Options

Just got my unlocked S22 Ultra about 3 weeks ago. Got it provisioned on my Verizon line, all good. Everything has been working great until yesterday afternoon.

I was trying to make a call and noticed that the call would say "Connecting..." for a few seconds, but then would disconnect me. Trying to redial the call resulted in being immediately disconnected. I tried another number and it worked, but it said "wifi call" once it connected, so I just assumed it was an issue with the particular number I was dialing. Later yesterday evening, I noticed that my wife (who is on an iPhone XR on AT&T) was getting texts in a group text we're both in, but I wasn't. I never got them later in the evening. This morning, I noticed I wasn't able to send or receive any text messages, including single-recipient messages, nor send or receive calls, nor browse the internet unless I was connected to my home Wifi network.

I spent the whole day on with VZW support. I reset my network settings, replaced my SIM card, and had VZW reprovision my line several times. After I reset the sim card, everything worked for a while, then stopped working again. I jumped back on a call with support and after they reprovisioned the line again, it worked again for a while again, but has since stopped again. As long as I'm connected to wifi, I can make and receive calls, send and receive SMS messages, and browse the internet. I cannot use group texts unless my cellular data is working though (presumably because they're MMS).

After troubleshooting on my own tonight, I've got the recipe down for making the mobile data stop working. If I turn off wifi and reboot my phone so that wifi doesn't try to connect as soon as it boots up, the mobile data works like a champ. Once I turn my wifi on for the first time, everything works as expected over wifi, but if I turn wifi off after that, my mobile data doesn't work even though I usually have between 3 and 5 bars of 5G Ultrawide Band. 

I've done pretty much everything short of a factor reset or RMAing the device. Neither are super attractive options to me right now.

tl;dr turning on wifi makes my mobile data unusable until I reboot my phone with wifi off, but everything works with wifi on.

Wondering if anybody has seen anything like this or has any suggestions.

Edit: It looks like my theory was just proved wrong. I had wifi disabled after a restart. Mobile data was working for a while, probably about 20 minutes, and the next time I picked up the phone, mobile data wasn't working to browse the internet. Turning wifi on got things working again. And every now and then my 5G signal bars go away completely and I just see the no smoking symbol for a few minutes. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You might be better placed asking your question in the US forum @allen5589 here https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Samsung-Community/ct-p/us 

However, 

What I would be asking myself is....

Is this happening everywhere I go or in one place i.e cell mast issues.

What happens when I try the sim card in another phone  ?

What happens when I try another sim in my phone ?

i.e sim card may need swapping for a new one.

Run the diagnostic tool in the Samsung Members App under the GetHelp section.

Also try Safe Mode  > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-start-my-galaxy-device-in-safe-mode/ turns off downloaded apps and themes etc which may highlight an app or theme that's causing conflict. 

If necessary back up and factory reset and if that does not resolve this then let a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre have hands on with the phone. 

I wish you all the best.  :smiling-face: 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

View solution in context

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You might be better placed asking your question in the US forum @allen5589 here https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Samsung-Community/ct-p/us 

However, 

What I would be asking myself is....

Is this happening everywhere I go or in one place i.e cell mast issues.

What happens when I try the sim card in another phone  ?

What happens when I try another sim in my phone ?

i.e sim card may need swapping for a new one.

Run the diagnostic tool in the Samsung Members App under the GetHelp section.

Also try Safe Mode  > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-start-my-galaxy-device-in-safe-mode/ turns off downloaded apps and themes etc which may highlight an app or theme that's causing conflict. 

If necessary back up and factory reset and if that does not resolve this then let a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre have hands on with the phone. 

I wish you all the best.  :smiling-face: 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

isbrodie1
First Poster
Options

Just thought I would bump this, I have the exact same issue with my S22 Ultra.

Wifi working fine at home, leave the house and it moves to 5G or 4G and then my mobile data won't work.

Turning Airplane mode on and off fixes the issue, but I can't be doing that every time I leave the house.

bgillette
First Poster
Options

I have a similar issue. with wifi enabled and at home...i cannot send a text message or get a text message. the moment i disable wifi the texting and being able to call works fine. this is very frustrating to spend this much $ on a phone and it doesn't even do the basic things you need a phone to do - send/receive text messages and make/receive calls!  What also works , temporarily, is to remove the sim card and put it back in.

FilipSe
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem. I bought a Samsung for the first time and I regret it. Samsung S22 Ultra - top model and such bugs...

0 Likes