Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Text archive swipe - can you turn it off?

(Topic created on: 06-03-2022 03:55 PM)
North49
Apprentice
Options

I can't figure out how to turn off the archive swipe feature in text messaging and regularly swipe a message and it goes away - can this be turned off?

A friend with a S21 has it off but she couldn't remember how she got it to go away.

Any help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
abecigneul
First Poster
Options

I figured it out. Open your messages and tap on the three dots to open settings. From there, go down to swipe actions. Click on customize for Swipe right and left and select off.

No more archiving messages!

View solution in context

23 REPLIES 23
CMack
Student
Options

Did you ever get this issue resolved?  It's the most irritating thing about this phone.

AndrewL
Options

@North49 @CMack: Are you using the Google Messages app? If so, and if you accidentally swipe to archive a message, please tap the 3 dots in the top right of the landing page > Archived, and check to see if you can reinstate it from here. 

0 Likes
North49
Apprentice
Options

Nope... learned to deal with it .. so crappy

North49
Apprentice
Options

I dont want the feature at all.. most swipe features allow you to turn on or off or decide what a swipe does... this is useless for texting 

DrAlpha
Journeyman
Options

S22 Ultra phone user here and yes I can't turn it off too, so annoying and irritating

DrAlpha
Journeyman
Options

Please show how to remove this completely. We should be able to choose what happens when you swipe and nothing at all if we want it.

DrAlpha
Journeyman
Options

I agree 

TomWJK
First Poster
Options

Please give us a way to TURN OFF text archive.  NOT RESTORE, BUT TURN OFF.  The VERY FIRST ACTION to open text is too easily misinterpreted as the command to archive.  This is poor design. Then you have to do double or triple the work to undo this by: touching 3 dots, choosing message, and then touching to restore.  And then it misinterprets the FIRST COMMAND and you have to do this all over.  The design is supposed to help not hinder texting.

Tom

bzkt41
First Poster
Options

Any updates on this?   Swipe right = archive, swipe left = archive, no options to change swipe function??  uggh