Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra: Sound Issues

(Topic created on: 23-03-2022 10:36 PM)
RobDod
Student
Options

First, let me say I'm 100% a Samsung user. I've always been impressed. But I listened to nearly 90,000 minutes of music last year and if Samsung doesn't confirm if the sound issues myself and other posters here are hardware or software I'm going to have to return my S22Ultra. Audio is my number one selling point in a new Samsung and it's the only feature that has issues.

I was expecting beautiful sound quality from the phone itself and least of all did I expect the sound to be so much quieter than my S10+ in every way. The speakers are either smaller or not pumping as loud as they should be. Also via blue-tooth (Car, Samsung Buds, Sony Speaker), the sound is translated at a drastically lower volume. My Samsung USB-C to Aux adapter also reads the phone audio as being lower than my S10+. Let me be clear. The sound is definitely lower because of the S22 Ultra in some way.

I've tried developer mode sound settings, I've tried everything. At this point, I've isolated the problem as software or hardware of the S22 Ultra itself causing every supported audio platform to be quieter. I've NEVER returned a phone. I'd hate for this to be the first time if they don't vocalize their audio problem won't need a recall. 

95 REPLIES 95
Members_h3uYWrP
First Poster
Options

I've bought the Samsung s22 ultra and noticed problems with sound speaker quality. Sound very low bass tinny and like a cheap budget phone. I have a s21 5g and noticed much better sound. I then contacted support and t hey said it was not right so I got sent a replacement and having same issue. I do like the phone but such poor quality speaker means I have to return. This is definitely a speaker problem. Uk user

GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

This is why I did did not trade my note10 ultra

GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

BTW--Samsung Support is useless.

GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

I am waiting on the iphone as I think a new version will emerge next year.  The iphone max now is almost 2 years old--so I will wait to get a new phone and laptop :smiling-face:

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

This is very good information. Thanks for posting it!

I totally agree with you about the abysmal sound quality. 

I figured an exchange would not fix the problem so I didn't bother. I did send back my Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 though. The screen was misaligned a few degrees counterclockwise. I'm waiting for a replacement on that. 

I did BUY another Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 in the meantime at Target, since they had an outstanding sake price - that one is fine. I'll just sell the replacement watch when I get it from Samsung. 

What has happened to Samsung quality?  If I owned the company, some people would be fired for letting this abysmal quality out. This tarnishes the Samsung name!

Okay, off my rant!  As far as the phone sound quality, it is that way through Bluetooth as well. Absolutely no bass at all just tinny high end.

This may mean there is hope for the speakers. Hopefully it's just a programming issue that can be fixed with an update!

Fingers crossed. 

Will I buy anything else from Samsung?  Don't know.  I have owned just about every new phone they come out with. 

The S22 Ultra is a step back in quality!

Tapdnsr
Apprentice
Options

Yep, this is part of why I kept my Note 9, and thank goodness I did or I wouldn't have an alarm clock since the S22 Ultra keeps putting itself in mute ALL sounds mode. I overslept today thanks to this. I'm furious, and I hate this phone, for this and many other reasons. 

0 Likes
Tapdnsr
Apprentice
Options

It really is a step back. Not just for the sound, either. I'm about to put my SIM card back into my Note 9. The cameras are nice, but are they worth it? Not so much. This thing sucks. 

GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

What do you mean that the s22u is putting itself in mute ALL sounds?

I wonder if this is an issue with the mother board?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Tapdnsr: If you head to Settings > Notifications > Do Not Disturb, do you have a schedule enabled? Similarly, if you go to Settings > Advanced Features > Bixby Routines, do you have a routine set up to activate Do Not Disturb, or mute your sounds under specific conditions? Regarding your Alarm sound, please open the Clock app > Select the Alarm tab > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Vibrate For Alarms and Timers, and toggle this option off if it is active. This way your alarm will still sound, even if the phone is set to Mute or Vibrate. 

The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

I agree this phone does suck!  The screen is great, the camera is great, but Samsung obviously didn't care about sound quality. 

I think I have one day left to return the phone. I am going to have to make a decision!

Every day on my drive to and from work I stream music to the Infinity or Harmon Kardon sound system in either of my vehicles and the Bluetooth sound on the S22 Ultra is horrible. It's all mid frequencies with some harsh treble thrown in. No Bass. 

I don't get this I think Samsung owns Harmon international, so why wouldn't they put good quality sound in their flagship phone?

I'm about ready to put my sim card back I the S21 Ultra which has great Bluetooth sound. 

So not only is the speaker sound on the S22 Ultra awful, the Bluetooth is as well. 

It may be something that an update could fix, but I don't want to get stuck with a horrible sounding phone if Samsung doesn't put any care into sound on this model.

Please explain what you mean about your phone going into mute?