Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 aggressive picture post processing

(Topic created on: 19-06-2022 07:13 AM)
madaload
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I don't know where to turn with this problem. I've been using Samsung devices since the S8. I got the S8 for my gf and the S9 for myself. Later I got her the A51 and just recently the S22 Exynos for myself. So you can see I've been a loyal Samsung customer.

Now the pictures coming from the S22 are absolutely and undeniably the worst. The post processing is so aggressive it removes all fine detail from objects and makes natural objects look like a cartoon. The 3x optical zoom lens is absolutely useless because the result is no better than with digital zoom. Actually it's much worse and even comparing the results to cheap smartphone cameras, like the one on Moto G7, look more natural and preserve more detail.

I found a similar complaint about the S22 Ultra on Samsung India forum and many other users complaining about the same all over the Internet.

Now, I know the problem is post processing, because I took some RAW pictures and processed them manually in Lightroom and Photoshop Express. First of all you need to stop forcing HDR on us. We are the users, we paid the money, so we should have the option to decide when we want to use HDR. It creates an effect comparable to still video images. The transition between a darker object and a lighter background (or vice versa) is so exaggerated that it causes light or dark artifacts, so for example lightsource reflections on a glossy blue background have a dark rim that isn't there in reality. The fur of animals is completely destroyed, the leaves in trees are blended together, all detail is lost and then they're artificially separated by weird darker lines, looking like a painting.

I'm sure I don't have to describe all of it or post pictures here. You've got plenty of examples in your forums and elsewhere.

Can you please release a fix that woul bring back whatever the S8 and S9 were doing with pictures? Those phones were a serious competition to real pocket digital cameras. Forget the battery issues or the fingerprint sensor issues. Just fix the camera, please!

25 REPLIES 25
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Are you on the latest June firmware 

0 Likes
roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

I've been complaining about this for years, that the post processing is a mess, hair and skin details in any conditions but direct sunlight are completely destroyed. S8 had, yes, a beast camera, capable of producing incredible details. Ever since S10, Samsung has just changed whatever S8 did well into this mess.
They just don't care about this because I cannot believe anyone from Samsung can say this camera quality is good or even acceptable!

madaload
Explorer
Options

Of course I am on the latest build. This requires a major camera SW overhaul.

0 Likes
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Make a further recommendation/request via Samsung Members app 

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Try Expert Raw app.
0 Likes
madaload
Explorer
Options

I did. It didn't help. Besides, I don't want to be forced to process my pictures manually. I'm not looking for other users advice nor am I looking for workarounds. 

I want Samsung to fix it. These cameras are supposed to be on par with the iPhone if not better. I know that Samsung can do it right, because I still have the S9 and the pictures from that phone come out at least as good as those from iPhone. I paid a lot of money for this device, so I want them to turn off the stupid AI, HDR and all the other nonsense they apply to pictures to make them look sharp and vibrant on the phone's screen at default size. I want to be able to zoom in and see the faces of my children instead of painted cartoons without details.

roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

It feels like Samsung either has no one capable of noticing this problem, or their quality standards are so low they have no interest in fixing this photo processing mess. 

smart-media
Explorer
Options
I have the unfortunate displeasure of owning the S22 Ultra and the photo quality is dreadful. Had the the S10 Plus Note 10 before this and the photos from the S10 are light years better than from the S22 Ultra. After spending many hours talking to Samsungs CS the best solution they come up with is for me to use their Expert Raw app. Admittedly the photo quality is better using this app, the photo quality still isn't that great from a phone costing this amount of money. If Samsung doesn't fix this problem very soon this is the last time they'll be getting anymore of my money. And that's not a threat Samsung, that's a promise. Very unhappy customer 😡
madaload
Explorer
Options

To whom? To the automated response engine or to the support guy who is there to make us feel happy we're talking to a human, but knows no more than anyone who spent an hour playing with the phone.