Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 aggressive picture post processing

(Topic created on: 18-06-2022 08:06 AM)
madaload
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I don't know where to turn with this problem. I've been using Samsung devices since the S8. I got the S8 for my gf and the S9 for myself. Later I got her the A51 and just recently the S22 Exynos for myself. So you can see I've been a loyal Samsung customer.

Now the pictures coming from the S22 are absolutely and undeniably the worst. The post processing is so aggressive it removes all fine detail from objects and makes natural objects look like a cartoon. The 3x optical zoom lens is absolutely useless because the result is no better than with digital zoom. Actually it's much worse and even comparing the results to cheap smartphone cameras, like the one on Moto G7, look more natural and preserve more detail.

I found a similar complaint about the S22 Ultra on Samsung India forum and many other users complaining about the same all over the Internet.

Now, I know the problem is post processing, because I took some RAW pictures and processed them manually in Lightroom and Photoshop Express. First of all you need to stop forcing HDR on us. We are the users, we paid the money, so we should have the option to decide when we want to use HDR. It creates an effect comparable to still video images. The transition between a darker object and a lighter background (or vice versa) is so exaggerated that it causes light or dark artifacts, so for example lightsource reflections on a glossy blue background have a dark rim that isn't there in reality. The fur of animals is completely destroyed, the leaves in trees are blended together, all detail is lost and then they're artificially separated by weird darker lines, looking like a painting.

I'm sure I don't have to describe all of it or post pictures here. You've got plenty of examples in your forums and elsewhere.

Can you please release a fix that woul bring back whatever the S8 and S9 were doing with pictures? Those phones were a serious competition to real pocket digital cameras. Forget the battery issues or the fingerprint sensor issues. Just fix the camera, please!

25 REPLIES 25
Members_4FxCjPO
Journeyman
Options

This happens on fold4 also. I spent almost 2000 euros for this phone.

I spend time setting up the options for a picture and after I take the picture, it's totally different.

I tried other camera apps.

This is outrageous. 

They won't give me my money back.

Iphone rules

LesPT
First Poster
Options
JC59
First Poster
Options

I agree, brand new 1400.00 phone and the camera is *****. Loyal Note fan and I hate this phone. It's huge, camera is awful, port for headphones is inconvenient 

smart-media
Explorer
Options
Nearly a year has gone past since I reported the poor photo quality issues of the Samsung S22 Ultra and they still haven't fixed the problems. That's it "Samsung". You will no longer get anymore of my money. And I sincerely hope other potential customers read these comments and decide to purchase another make of phone.
mnfreeman
First Poster
Options

I agree completely - the image processing makes everything look too 'digital'. I tested the s21 with my google pixel 2 and the pixel 2 was superior in that when you zoom in to the photo, you have a more natural / film looking 'noise', and better line / detail quality over the Samsung's weird softened digital edges.  The Pixel has a great camera with more 'film like' image processing, though unfortunately google started to use bad OLED displays since the pixel 5 so I can't recommend the phone anymore. The 'pro' model has a nice AMOLED - though it has a curved edge screen which I can't stand. I had a galaxy s7 and I remember the image quality being a lot better than the s21. It's totally unacceptable.

Jessik
Apprentice
Options

Samsung,

I just changed my phone from S21 to S22, even if I bought the S21 only 8 months ago, because I though there was a problem with the camera.

Turns out, it's not the camera. It's juste you, SAMSUNG. Seems like you don't know how to make a decent camera anymore!!

And what the hell is going on with the shutterspeed in normal mode. My son is 9 months old, and always moving. I cant take a non-blurry picture of him, now. I had no problem with my S9.

I had the S8, the S9, and I had no problem with my photos!

But now, you take a picture, it appears as is for about 1s in the gallery, then is processed to some kind of ridiculously soften version of the photo. And I looked EVERYWHERE in the phone if there was a setting that I should uncheck, to avoid this weird post processing. There IS NOT.

FIX THIS NOW, SAMSUNG OR EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

This HAS TO BE a software issue, since the unprocessed photo appears for a second.

You just have no right, selling sh***y camera phones, at this price, in 2023, like it's no big deal.

It's a really big deal.

I've been a samsung galaxy user since the Galaxy S4. This is my 5th galaxy s series. If the problem is not fixed with an update, it will be my last Samsung smartphone. I won't take the risk of having the same issue again.

roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

check if you have Expert Raw Camera app in the Galaxy Store, it is their pro camera application, it will allow you to shoot JPEG as well so you do not have to deal with raw. If it is not available, get the S23 series, all of them should have access to this camera and they have snapdragon which has a much better image processing unit. Get it now while they still have deals such as 512GB at the price of the 256GB and you can get some cash on your s22 as well.

0 Likes
JeniaCernisev
Explorer
Options

i worte to Samsung a lot time about poor quality of photo and video, i have s 22 plus exynos.
Main unswer was - clear cash, try ion safe mode and other stuff.
In low light this phone blur and make pait oil in all photo, and all video.
Phone for more when 1000 euro shoot like cheap xiomi remdi.
In support write to me what they are didint see any problems in video!!!!
Ishow them a lot examples what video a totaly weird, and main unswer we dont see on video any problems.  Only another app help, but you need all adjust manual and this is very discomfort.  i provide video example, look at uppear part of video, in s 23 plus, with the same sensor, all ok!!!

0 Likes
JeniaCernisev
Explorer
Options

Agree with you!!!!! But in support they wrote what very less people send to them about camera quality!!!! I send around 30 message with video and photo!!
And get unswer what they dont see problems in video!!!

0 Likes
TravellingWelshman
First Poster
Options
Do you mean a photo like this? Noticed this tonight when I zoomed x2020230415_201956_1000023184_1681586401.jpg