Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Picture-In-Picture" for the YouTube app not working.

(Topic created on: 12-04-2022 09:03 PM)
Dean9561
Apprentice
Options
I'm struggling to find a solution after countless hours of searching the Web. 

Each time I play a video on YouTube and press the "home" button/gesture, the app just closed without the picture in picture pop-up.

When I use the timer app, it seems to display a window that shows the time remaining when I return to the home page.

All the settings in the (Apps < special access < Picture in Picture) are turned on for everything.
This includes (Apps < special access < Appear on top) are also turned on for everything. 

I have tried going to (Apps < special access < Appear on top < Reset app preferences) just in case I set something that would interrupt to function. 
I have also tried turning everything off, restarting the phone, and turning all settings on again, but to no avail. 

Is there anything g else I can try? Any other settings to check that could interrupt picture in picture?
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I'm assuming you have a YouTube Premium account you pay for monthly. If not then this will be one possible issue.
Have you gone into settings and into Apps
Then into YouTube and select storage
Try clearing the cashe and see how that goes
0 Likes
Dean9561
Apprentice
Options
That's the strange thing

When I first got the phone last week, it worked once, then I closed the window. But haven't been able to do it again. (I don't have YouTube premium)

Are there any other apps that support picture in picture so I can do more tests?
SamHobbs
Student
Options

I have a Tivo and a Sony TV with Android TV. So my situation might not be relevant to you but for me both of those devices are having a problem different from yours but the same for both of them. YouTube in my desktop works. So YouTube might be having problems. I posted a question in the Google support community for YouTube.

0 Likes
PrinceKobi
Apprentice
Options
Hey, I think you need youtube premium. Otherwise, play a video on Netflix on your phone, then whilst playing, do the home gesture to check if your PiP mode actually works ok.
0 Likes
Dean9561
Apprentice
Options
OK, did a few more tests and found that PIP isn't working for YouTube instagram or Facebook, but is working for Samsung Internet, Google chrome, Google tv and Google maps.

Haven't got a Netflix sub so can't test that and currently waiting to claim my free Disney+, but I'm going to assume they will work.

So I'm not sure what's going on, as I believe it worked once before when I first got the phone, but I've never taken up a subscription for YouTube.
0 Likes
SamHobbs
Student
Options