Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keypad and DTMF tones not working during a call s22 ultra

(Topic created on: 01-06-2022 11:05 PM)
Sullys012136
First Poster
Options

Does anyone else have this issue?? I cannot "press 1 to " because the tones do not work in call. they do work when i dial a number, just not in call. Please help!!

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
nickfreckle
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue. Don't know how to fix it, and was hoping someone on here did! 

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Sullys012136 @nickfreckle: Please can you try opening the Phone app > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Call Alerts and Ringtone > Play Sound For Keypad Taps > On, to see if this resolves the issue? 

0 Likes
KingTriton
First Poster
Options

Solution:  Both "System" volume AND "Play sound for keypad taps" must be ON for the DTMF tones to be sounded.  If either System volume or Play sound for keypad taps is off, DTMF tones will not be created. 

To access System volume:  Settings > Sounds and vibration > Volume ...  the "System" volume must NOT be set to OFF, the System volume must be ON, or in other words, the wrench symbol under the word "System" must be green and not grey with a line through it. The System volume level that is set does not matter, it just needs to be ON.

AndrewL is also correct, the "Play sound for keypad taps" within the phone app must be toggled on or the DTMF tones will not be generated.  From within the Phone app > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Call Alerts and Ringtone > Play Sound For Keypad Taps > On

I had the same very frustrating and troublesome problem and it took me a while to find that I had to turn the System volume on to solve this issue.  For me, the phone app setting of Play sound for keypad taps was already set to on, and as that is a more obscure setting, the System volume being off is probably the most likely cause of no DTMF tones, as it was for me.

I could not find a way to see or affect the System Volume from within the phone app settings (via the 3 vertical dots).   

I did not think that turning off the System volume would have such a crazy side effect of no DTMF tones.  And this issue can certainly blindside, especially as DTMF tones are not used by modern cell phones to dial a number, unlike land-line phones when dialing a number, so making a successful cell call can falsely imply that DTMF tones should be working.  

0 Likes
Jax22
First Poster
Options

My system sound is on, tap sounds are on and I still can't use any number entry during phone calls. Sigh

JohnFE20
First Poster
Options

I don't know what it's called but Samsung phones seem to have two different phone apps that launch when you initiate or answer a call. One screen is white and shows the keypad; I call it the DUMMY phone screen. The buttons do not work. (you've noticed.)  To see the REAL phone screen: 1) press the RECENTS button (|||) on the navigation bar at the bottom, which shows you the open apps in a Rolodex type format. 2) swipe to the sides until you see the darker (REAL) phone app and tap it to make it the active window.

Now you will be able to "Press 1 to say you are frustrated with Samsung, Press 2 to say...." etc.

You could go so far as to quit that dummy app while you are on an active call. Press the Recents button and swipe over to center the DUMMY phone screen, but don't tap it to make it full screen. Just swipe it up so it disappears (quits/closes). Now you will be left with the just the REAL phone app handling the active call.

Sorry I don't know what is the deal with the DUMMY phone app. 

edit: Just found this explanation:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Multiple-Phone-apps/td-p/460852

0 Likes
Wassini
First Poster
Options

I found the reason in another (very) old thread:

What actually did work was turning off VoLTE calls in Settings > Connetions > Mobile Networks.

0 Likes
Members_FfZUyvC
First Poster
Options

A little late to the party. But what works for me is pressing * before selecting a number.

Eg. "Press 1 for..", I press *1 and it works, without turning the voulme system up, keypad sound or any of that.

0 Likes
Black_Shadow
First Poster
Options

THAT ^^^ worked for me, thanks!
Frustrating indeed!

0 Likes