Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I only have 2GB/8GB of RAM free??

(Topic created on: 27-04-2023 03:45 PM)
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
Hi guys, I got the S22 Ultra a few months ago and I've noticed whenever I check the 'Device Care', it always shows I have no more than 2.5GB of useable RAM. No matter what I do, I can't free anymore up and when I clear the RAM, within seconds it throws up tonnes of apps I can't disable and it's back to how it usually is.

I'm really confused because not only am I losing 6GB of RAM somewhere, these junk apps are using whatever I have left to play with?

Can anyone help me figure this out please?
8 REPLIES 8
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for your reply. And yes, I've activated RAM+ running at another 8GB. As far as I know, that partitions my data storage to use as backup RAM, correct?
0 Likes
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
No, I'm referring to the device RAM. If I access my Memory through the Device Care, it constantly shows 6GB+ being used up and then an abundance of background system apps that keep restarting every time I clean my memory cache.

To my knowledge, aren't System Apps supposed to run in the partitioned section of the RAM meant for the general operation of the device?

(Edit: typos)
0 Likes
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
I don't really have much issue with the battery honestly. The apps using the most are Tiktok, YouTube, DDG browser etc. Everything else is relatively insignificant in relation to the battery.

I think it is background system apps running constantly on the RAM. I can clear the cache, then go in and out again and it's clogged up immediately.
0 Likes
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
These are the kind of apps I'm cleaning up, which I have to do at least a few times a day. Shouldn't these system apps be using the massive 6GB RAM that the device has reserved for some reason?Screenshot_20230427_165853_Device care.jpg
0 Likes
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
Yeah I'm aware a lot of these are for everyday use (which makes no sense being in the 'apps not used recently' section of the memory). I'm concerned that my phone is mysteriously using 75% of its RAM and these apps are running up the crumbs of what's left.

I wouldn't say my phone is broken to use daily but if I have a couple/few apps running, things start to lag badly such as scrolling down pages on my browser.
0 Likes
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
With that logic, RAM Plus is really counterproductive. I just turned it off as you recommended and it's spared up an extra 2GB RAM but still carrying 1GB+ of those "unused" apps.

Isn't the RAM Plus supposed to use your data storage to virtualise more RAM? I don't know if I'm just being dumb here but I don't understand how it's freed up twice as much RAM when it should give me more in exchange for the loss of data storage?
0 Likes
Shandypants
Apprentice
Options
Yeah it looks like I might go through a big deletion and get rid of some apps.
0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

It's OK. Would you be more gral if you pay for RAM which is not used? System uses RAM as much as possible and it is able to release it when it is required by a process with highed priority. Until then the RAM is allocated for fast restoring applications and for services on background.

It is (a good) feature, not an error.

Samsung S24 Ultra Black 1 TB | Pixel 8a Bay 128 GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 256GB
Samsung Galaxy Watch Ultra | Samsung Galaxy Buds / Buds2 / Buds2 Pro / Buds3 Pro

0 Likes