Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to import Whatsapp backup from iPhone

(Topic created on: 12-06-2023 05:37 AM)
Imadi inward
Student
Options

Need help

I want to move my WhatsApp data from iPhone to my S22 Ultra. I used Smart Switch by connecting those two phones with a lightning to USB-C cable.

When the moving process started, the data was successfully transferred from the iPhone, and when it continued to my Samsung, it started with logged in on WhatsApp, and came up option to import chat. When I selected "import" and it continued with notification such as "importing data", it became stuck on 83% completion and getting error with "unknown error" message.

I tried four times and it still got error on 83%. I made sure that Chat backup on iPhone completed. 

Does anyone have the same or similar problem? thank you.

Galaxy S22 Ultra 

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Unfortunately this is something the app developers need to sort out.
It's been the one annoying thing that WhatsApp has and not being able to to transfer the chats.
I believe there is a way by saving to a computer or something like that. Can't remember now.
But why they won't let you transfer from ios to android and the other way. I don't know
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That's correct it's not a smartswitch issue but the fact they whatsapp doesn't restore properly from iPhone to samsung
99kingcone
Pathfinder
Options
Hi just a thought, if you uninstall WhatsApp and then reinstall with your email address you should be able to get all your information transferred that way , give it a try as that happened to me a good while back.
BaronDigo
Helping Hand
Options
I would recommend backing up whatsapp data to an email such as gmail. Then restoring through email again.
Welcome home, btw!
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
The problem is with WhatsApp as you only get an opportunity to restore your history when the app is first installed. By using Samsung backup it restores the WhatsApp app but not your history. As long as you have set whatsapp to backup your chats on your old phone, you will be given the opportunity to restore them when your first install WhatsApp. Basically if your chat history is backed up, you can just uninstall WhatsApp and when you reinstall it you should get the message giving you the option to restore chat history. Hope this helps
0 Likes
Imadi inward
Student
Options

Finally, after many times of failed trials, i decided to use third party application to move my WhatsApp data, of course it's a paid application, and the problem solved.

MelquiB2
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem, but mine crashes at 74%. It's terrible. Before this iPhone, what device did you use? Did you transfer your WhatsApp from that device to the iPhone? Which paid app did you use?

slutburger_048
First Poster
Options

Hey Imadi, I'm stuck at 93% while importing process and tried it many times.

Please let me know the paid app you used, my data is around 37GB worth.

And whether you have a license 

0 Likes
Vibhor
First Poster
Options

Facing same problem, after 69% IMPORT STOPS. Can anyone help please 

0 Likes