Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Contacts, Phone, and Messages app not working after new UI update

(Topic created on: 09-12-2023 10:45 PM)
RinaR
Apprentice
Options

I am running into an issue with my contacts, phone, and messages app not working after the most recent update. I have tried clearing the cache of all affected apps, clearing cache for the device, and clearing the cache + data for One UI. I have also tried reboots. 

When I try to open any of them, they crash almost immediately. The same thing is happening with my search bar.

I don't know what to do about this issue aside from a factory reset. Is anyone else having this problem or is there a known solution? This is extremely frustrating. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
RinaR
Apprentice
Options
I've had this situation for about a week since my phone updated and I finally figured out a fix! I was able to get my google texting app working a bit after a cache partition clear, but it still wasn't fully functional until after I did this.
I tried the clearing cache + data from my phone and contacts apps, but it didn't work for me. Trying the restore from back-up option from the settings for either apps also resulted in an error and the apps' data not being restore-able. I've also been getting several crash messages that go away before I can read what they are.
I looked further into the installed apps on the device and found a good number of the problems stemmed from the Samsung apps and eventually one redirected me to the Samsung store.
Steps I took:
  1. Open Samsung Store app
  2. Once app open, navigate to the menu option
    1. In bottom right-hand corner, looks like stacked horizontal lines
  3. After navigating to menu, selected the "Updates" option, finding multiple updates to things such as the contacts app and settings that were not applied by the overall system update
  4. Ran updates
  5. Problem apps now functional, all call logs and existing contacts present. If numbers not updating in texting app, fully close out of messaging and re-open. Numbers should update now
Let me know if this helps/fixes things for anyone! I have an S22 and was also extremely frustrated with the issue and kept coming to dead-ends or old fixes that didn't resolve this issue. This is finally the thing that worked for me.

View solution in context

7 REPLIES 7
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi there

A number of S22 series users (Especially in the US) have commented on here about issues.

Before you hit the nuclear option of a Factory Data Reset, may I recommend you Wipe Partition Cache first to see if that resolves the issues? It has for some but not all.
RinaR
Apprentice
Options

I tried it and unfortunately it didn't work. I'm taking it to Samsung repair soon. My texting app is working now and I'm able to make calls by telling google assistant the number, but the contacts app and phone app are still not working.

0 Likes
Solution
RinaR
Apprentice
Options
I've had this situation for about a week since my phone updated and I finally figured out a fix! I was able to get my google texting app working a bit after a cache partition clear, but it still wasn't fully functional until after I did this.
I tried the clearing cache + data from my phone and contacts apps, but it didn't work for me. Trying the restore from back-up option from the settings for either apps also resulted in an error and the apps' data not being restore-able. I've also been getting several crash messages that go away before I can read what they are.
I looked further into the installed apps on the device and found a good number of the problems stemmed from the Samsung apps and eventually one redirected me to the Samsung store.
Steps I took:
  1. Open Samsung Store app
  2. Once app open, navigate to the menu option
    1. In bottom right-hand corner, looks like stacked horizontal lines
  3. After navigating to menu, selected the "Updates" option, finding multiple updates to things such as the contacts app and settings that were not applied by the overall system update
  4. Ran updates
  5. Problem apps now functional, all call logs and existing contacts present. If numbers not updating in texting app, fully close out of messaging and re-open. Numbers should update now
Let me know if this helps/fixes things for anyone! I have an S22 and was also extremely frustrated with the issue and kept coming to dead-ends or old fixes that didn't resolve this issue. This is finally the thing that worked for me.
RinaR
Apprentice
Options

I was able to figure out a solution that didn't require a factory reset! Woo

Hesamaskari
Student
Options

Same here!

0 Likes
Hesamaskari
Student
Options

Worked perfectly! Thank you!

0 Likes
Aadu
First Poster
Options

Hi happened to me.

Several hours on phone w samsung tech.

Did my own research as well as w tech and I read the solution & told him about it.

Did give control of my computer so he could do it all for me. ( didn't have the courage to do it myself)

Y did all the cache clear, partition wipe,ect.  Nothing worked.

Had to go in and take last update out.

Boom!  Worked perfectly ever since.

Now 2/2024 has a new ui update.

Not gonna do it bc same thing will happen will lose texts, contacts & all bookmarks.

I do not get it why Samsung can't  fix that from happening everytime a new update comes along.

0 Likes