Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22U Recovered Lost Phone, I Remote Locked, Now Cannot Unlock

(Topic created on: 03-07-2023 12:05 PM)
TOCarpenterTF
Apprentice
Options

I'm at my wits end with this issue, I even took a day off work, and the samsung store couldn't fix it, they had me on the phone with some other support channel that also couldn't help, they send me a link to contact the "knox team" thatr was just a link to the samsung site.

I left my S22 Ultra in an uber on a late night ride home, the driver was unresponsive to mine and uber's attempts to reach him, for several days. The following morning, I got a new sim and a cheap (hopefully temporary) a13 phone so clients/friends could reach me, and I could have my 2fa sms for nearly everything I do. I saw spending on my google wallet, and still hadn't heard from the driver 2 days later, so I remote locked down the phone from the smartthings site, and tried to erase it.  A day or two after that, the driver finally gets back to uber and agrees to drop the phone off for the lost item fee, which I gladly paid, until I got the phone and couldn't use it. I entered my pin(which I'm 100% sure I didn't forget) and it didn't work. I went to the smart things website, attempted remote unlock several times, and it just kept saying saying remote unlock disabled. I tried a bunch of the buttons on smartthings/findmyphone none worked, tried recovery and download modes, but the phone messages when attempting traditional shutdowns saying shutdown not possible because of remote lock. It will forcibly shutdown briefly with the pwr + vol-down for 7 seconds method, but doesn't allow me into recovery mode, or download mode to factory reset. Boots back up to airplane mode, and same lock screen that doesn't accept my pin.

After a while, I figured maybe it's FRP related and removed the s22u from all 3 of my google accounts, and my samsung account. Which didn't help at all. I did hours of troubleshooting with my carrier confirming no blacklist, or sim lockout they told me to contact samsung support, but ultimately I'd end up in a samsung store. I was only able to reach samsung chat support, i told them all the troubleshooting steps I'd done and they directed me to a samsung store assuring me that would work. So I took a day off unpaid, and waited 3 hours to see a tech, who quickly directed me back to samsung support. I got pretty impatient since this was 7 days later, and it was starting to become the circular "we can't fix it they can" and I was told twice, by my carrier and samsung chat support told me this was the final sure step to get my phone working. The tech called another, different support team with me, and they also couldn't do anything, they essentially said it's knox tripped, meaning somebody tried to hack it, and failed. I'm thinking that's what I've been thinking the whole time I couldn't reach the driver, I'm glad that feature works, but now what? This is an expensive purchase, I expected to last at least another year, maybe 2-3. I was sent a link by that final support agent, which sent me to basically knox.samsung.com where she said I would "figure out, how to contact them, on that page", but it doesn't really work, because I don't have a company login for knox management or something. This phone was purchased from my carrier, by my families small corporation, that cell account has 5-7 phones depending on the season,I do some work for them and the carrier offers nice deals to corporations on hardware, but I know my Dad, the director of the corp, is not into knox management tools or something, he uses an iphone and isn't some cyber security enthusiast.

So, who do I talk to about getting out of this knox tripped state as they called it? I have my receipt, I don't care if the phone is factory wiped(actually prefer it at this point), I have backups and don't store anything critical solely on the device anyway. I just want the phone working again, I'm still making payments on it.

I just can't figure out who to reach, I'm told they'll have some other pin that the phone wants right now.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I think you should pursue an insurance claim. If Knox has been tripped it means the device is no longer secure. Knox is a physical fuse so once tripped cannot be undone. This suggests attempt was made to access the device and flash different firmware s goodness knows what has been done to your device. It may be an idea to involve the police if unauthorised purchases have been made.

I should have mentioned that when Knox is tripped things that require security ie bank apps will no longer work.
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yeah as @Pugs1957 says
I think you've had it with this phone. As has been mentioned. If someone has tried to hack in, the software could be corrupted. Hence no one able to get it unlocked.
Your probobly best looking at seeing if household insurance would cover the replacement
Some bank accounts include insurance and can include mobile phones as well.
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
If you got the phone from your carrier it's worth taking it back to them for a repair. A lot of carriers include insurance as part of the purchase so they may fix or replace it for you. As others have said involve the police and if there is evidence the phone has been tampered with then Uber or the driver may be liable too. Hope this helps
TOCarpenterTF
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for all the inputs, I ironically didn't take the insurance for the first time in a while, because on my previous phone, I needed it and didn't think to use it, and my rates for that were going up for this phone so I opted out, broke the screen a week later, and a year after that this.

The police are involved now, such a pain in the buttocks I must say. Ultimately the charges were reversed quickly since I talked to my bank as it was happening, but there's still an unauthorized access charge to lay, then perhaps I can win the value off the driver in court, only to never be able to collect it afterwards lol

Pragya Nigam
First Poster
Options
  1. hi My phone is still locked can u tell me if ur ph is still locked please request you to help meeee. its been onlu 9 monthsss...i showed my bills and all to show that I am the owner of that phone but they are not able to unlock
0 Likes
TOCarpenterTF
Apprentice
Options

Mine is also a paperweight, shouldn't have opted out of the insurance, I got pretty boned, but to be honest we'd more more boned if the driver had accessed out sensitive client data. The police agreed 100% that the evidence for a very serious charge "Unauthorized access" was all there, but they remained doubtful a crown attorney (prosecutor if you're american) would go ahead with the case, and they were dead right about that, my content insurance didn't cover this situation, and my extremely frustrating experience with all samsung interatctions on this were a final straw, I really mean it this time, we're done with the brand, I said that with the FB system app status, but still grabbed this phone for the camera, but we really are done now. I apprecite the knox security saving our data, but not enough to counteract,  the 7 painful days to reach an explanation, and no resolution available for a corporate client, with a history of purchasing ***** near 100 samsungs. on top of an excessively bloated version of android, 24mo updates that ruin responsiveness (outlawed for Eu, still good to go in NA) and a data broker with system app status is all enough for us, and probably anyone weighing the options to forget this formerly reliable brand.

0 Likes