Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Bad Camera Quality

(Topic created on: 23-07-2021 04:21 PM)
Diminee
Apprentice
Options

Just recently got the S21 and I'm so disappointed with the camera. The photos it takes are grainy, blurry, low quality and look like something a phone in 2008 would've taken. My S8 took much better quality photos, even in poor lighting. Wish I could just get another S8 at this point.

Please compare the photos of my cat on the S21 vs S8. The S8 took those photos when its back casing was falling off, yet they still look a million times better than from my brand new phone.

My last issue is I often take photos of book text and documents, and the S21 camera blurs nearly the entire text! I have tried going into settings and turning scene optimiser on and off but nothing is working. I'm at the end of my rope here.

20210721_172510.jpg

 S21

20210315_145336.jpg

S8

20210719_182422.jpg

 S21's attempt at book text... 

48 REPLIES 48
Mimo40
Helping Hand
Options
Just a quick one have you reset the camera settings? And I have heard that on some Samsung s21 ultra that their was protection on the camera lenses have alook see if you have any on there.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The cameras are easily smudged, so might have to clean them now and then.
Also as mentioned look for a plastic coating on the lens.
If there is should easily come off with a fingernail don't try anything sharp to check.
Also make sure ' FOCUS ENHANCER ' is On.

If it's ON you should see two yellow circles on the bottom left of the screen with the camera on and out your hand in front of the camera.

If they are white press them to turn on.Screenshot_20210723-133023_Gallery_27138.jpg
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Different lighting for the cats, the text page is obviously not flat. It needs more light as the depth of field is too shallow. Same for the cat picture comparison. These are very basic photography errors, nothing to do with the camera.
ChrisBingi
Student
Options
Silly answer but have you removed the film over camera lens?
I put a screen protector over My new phone screen and it covered the camera as well.

Silly stuff like this helped reduce camera quality... it may sound very basic... but I made this error
Diminee
Apprentice
Options

No plastic film, and I literally just got this phone so I doubt that's the issue. The enhancer is on and if anything just makes things MORE blurry (it completely blurs everything thqt it considers the 'background').

Also, yes the lighting is different - the one in S21 is broad daylight, the S8 is with window blinds down and half cast in shadow.

The book page WAS flat. Here's a S8 text photo in comparison.

20201227_204024.jpg

 The quality is obviously suffering from the upload, but the text sharpness is consistent throughout the page.

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The S8 photo also shows the page isn't flat. Please do some research into how film speeds, f stops and depth of field affect your photos. You're not going to drive an F1 car without knowing the basics, it's the same with photography.
0 Likes
Diminee
Apprentice
Options

Oh my GOD. I am NOT trying to be a professional photographer. I literally just want to take normal, every day life photos without extensive photography knowledge. If I had such an interest, I'd invest into a camera, not a mobile phone device. Jesus.

GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
All I can suggest is have a look around this forum for other peoples pictures and decide .

You can have a look at my pictures under my ID as well.

If nothing helps maybe check at a samsung store or something.

Also what camera version do you have?
Current is 11.0.03.16
0 Likes
Diminee
Apprentice
Options

Yeah, I might have to bring it in somewhere to have it looked at.

Camera version is 11.0.03.08 and it's telling me it's installed to the latest version.

0 Likes