Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please

(Topic created on: 21-10-2021 08:10 AM)
ashleigh90
Explorer
Options
Hi. I have a S21 ultra and if I'm in a dull lit room my screen turns off, or if I cover the top of my screen the screen also turns off.
Can this be altered or changed.
Thank you. 
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
I think you might have ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS turned on. Go into SETTINGS/DISPLAY, then scroll down until you can see ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS. if that setting is on, switch it off, and see if it has the desired result. 😊
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Agree with the other answer.
The top of the phone when it gets covered will turn the screen off when you are on a call etc
This is so when you hold it to your ear, it will turn it off to stop the phone from getting too warm against the ear. Will also help battery life
As far as I'm aware, this setting can't be turned off
ashleigh90
Explorer
Options
Adaptive brightness is already off
0 Likes
ashleigh90
Explorer
Options
Thank u. I understand that but my screen is turning off when I'm not on a call.
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Settings > display > screen timeout and can choose upto 10 mins .

Although wouldn't recommend more than a minute as it's a security feature and battery saver the less you keep it.
AndrewL
Options

@ashleigh90: If you have a case or cover on the phone, try removing it to see if this helps. From what you have described, it sounds like your Proximity Sensor is kicking in, although that should only be functional when making/receiving calls. Follow the steps above by @GoanGeek and if the issue persists, press and hold on the Samsung Members app icon > Diagnostics > Sensors, and check to see if any issues are flagged with the Light Sensor. 

ashleigh90
Explorer
Options
Mines set to 5 mins.
0 Likes
ashleigh90
Explorer
Options
I have removed my case but it still happens. I thought it was the proximity sensor, as the screen goes blank while on calls as the phone is to my ear. However when I'm in a dim room or cover the top half of the screen, the screen goes blank but displays the date and time as if it were locked, and when I remove my hand or move to a brighter area the screen automatically comes back on. It can be annoying. Especially when I'm laid in bed reading an ebook with just a lamp on and my screen going on and off x
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Only option maybe while reading ebook place your thumb or finger on screen now and then.
0 Likes