Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Mobile/Cell Data Usage When Using Two SIMs

(Topic created on: 07-07-2020 01:55 PM)
PaulCurtis
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I hope someone can help. I have two SIMs in the S10. It seems to insist on using SIM1 for mobile data. I can't see any setting for forcing it to use the SIM I prefer. The 'Mobile Data' switch only appears on one of the SIM's

Thanks, 

Paul

Screenshot_20200707-135111_Settings.jpg

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AndrewL
Options
@PaulCurtis: if you got Settings > Connections > SIM Card Manager> Preferred SIM cards > Mobile Data, you can set it to SIM1 or SIM2 from here, after which your S10 should default to the selected SIM when accessing your mobile data.

View solution in context

11 REPLIES 11
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @PaulCurtis ,

are both SIM cards having a strong connection in the area? What happens if you switch the SIM cards? 

0 Likes
PaulCurtis
Apprentice
Options

Hi Tess, 

Yes, both should have had a good signal for the most part. I didn't try switching the cards, but I wouldn't want to do that just to select the one I want to use for data.

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Would you be able to give this a try and let us know if that connects to the SIM placed on the slot one? 

0 Likes
PaulCurtis
Apprentice
Options

Hi Tess, I can, but to what purpose please? What does it tell us?

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

This will indicate if the phone set  SIM1 as the main one by default or if there is anything on the SIM card making the phone select this as the main one. 

0 Likes
PaulCurtis
Apprentice
Options

OK, I can answer the question without doing it. 

Whilst out this morning, I had my EE card (unlimited data) in SIM1. A giffgaffcard, with limited data, was in SIM2. After a whilel I got a message from giffgaff that my allowance was zero. At that time, looking at the screen on my attachment, it was SIM2 that had the 'Mobile Data' slider, not SIM1 as per my attachement. I was unable to force the phone to use SIM1 for data, so I had no mobile internet connection.

When I was home, I powered down, removed the giffgaff card from SIM2 and powered up. I then powered down, and replaced the card in SIM2. Now as you see, the slider is on the EE card. So it changed. 

But what I want to know is how do I select the one I want?

0 Likes
Solution
AndrewL
Options
@PaulCurtis: if you got Settings > Connections > SIM Card Manager> Preferred SIM cards > Mobile Data, you can set it to SIM1 or SIM2 from here, after which your S10 should default to the selected SIM when accessing your mobile data.
PaulCurtis
Apprentice
Options

Ah, that's it! Thanks Andrew!

AndrewL
Options
You're welcome @PaulCurtis, glad I could help :smiling-face: