Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Google app use 560 MB?

(Topic created on: 29-01-2023 03:32 PM)
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Pioneer
Options
The Google app is by far the largest app on my new phone at 560 MB. While the phone has 64 GB storage, this app is larger than the entire storage of my secondary phone (512 MB).

I would remove this app but I've read it's required for other apps to function. Is this just the size Android apps are?
6 REPLIES 6
Neo001
Legend
Options

Lot of it is cache and search history. Go to Settings > Apps > Google > Storage > Clear cache. Then click on manage storage and clear search data ( note search history in Google Chrome will be eliminated).

0 Likes
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Pioneer
Options
Doing this only reduced the app size to 478 MB. I've never used the Google app and don't have Chrome installed.
0 Likes
maggie m
Pioneer
Options

Maybe this is the size of the Google app. You can clear the cache of the app to look at its original size.

0 Likes
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Pioneer
Options
I did this, which only reduced the size to 478 MB.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@SAVVYSCLUTTER: It's quite typical for browser and media apps to be a few hundred MegaBytes (Samsung Internet is also around 400MB). I can't clarify exactly why the apps are that size specifically, however it shouldn't cause you too many issues with your storage if you have 64GB of internal memory. 

0 Likes
SAVVYSCLUTTER
Pioneer
Options
I know this won't cause issues - it just surprises me as my other phone has only 512 MB memory and its largest app is 5 MB. :smiling-face:
0 Likes