Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung pass not accepting fingerprints

(Topic created on: 16-09-2020 02:52 PM)
ETCottle
Apprentice
Options

I have a new Galaxy A17.  My fingerprint sensor is working on all other apps, but Samsung Pass will not accept fingerprints. It appears initially to accept the fingerprint, then thinks for a few seconds, then comes back with a message "couldn't recognize finger print. Try again later." I have deleted and recreated all fingerprints, I have tried different fingers, I have tried software updates, nothing has worked.  It appears initially to accept the fingerprint, then thinks for a few seconds, then comes back with a message "couldn't recognize finger print. Try again later. I've had this phone for several months, and Samsung Pass has never worked.

I contacted Samsung technical support, talked to four different people, and no one solved the problem for me. Tech Support handed me off to a different software support team, who told me I needed to talk to Tech Support. Samsung Tech Support has failed me on this one.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
Abee
Journeyman
Options
I know it sounds silly but when you've deleted the finger print and re done it, did you put your thumb on in different positions, for example : one straight down, one slightly on the side, one at 90 degrees etc. I had this problem too, a couple of iPhone ago before face recognition when they asked you to input the thumb in different positions so it got all of the print if that kind of makes sense so I deleted the prints and put my thumb print in like that (moving the angle everytime) and it seems to have done the trick. I then reset the phone after. also just be careful if you have a screen protector on, a lot of them don't actually recognise the print properly.

hope you get it sorted
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I think  it is advisable  to put thumb or finger in different positions  and possibly take a few of them twice @Abee  However @ETCottle has tried different fingers and as fine with other apps it  may well be a  specific issue with Samsung pass on their Device,  hope you can get it sorted.

Some general advice here for those who may be interested https://www.samsung.com//support 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
ETCottle
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have to put my finger in different positions when I first record the fingerprint, otherwise it won't get a 100% reading. 

0 Likes
Solution
ETCottle
Apprentice
Options

Update and bizarre coincidence...

After I posted the comment above, the very next time I tried Samsung Pass it told me that there was a software update.  I had turned off the WIFI, that could have had something to do with it.  The Samsung Pass software updated, and after that everything has worked fine.

So it was clear that the software needed to be updated, but it wouldn't tell me that till I tried over mobile data with WIFI off.

At any rate, the problem is now resolved.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@ETCottle  Glad fingerprints are now working properly and should be useful advice to others.  For certain issues good idea to try over your mobile Data.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Gapher1221
First Poster
Options

Hello I have been having this same issue for over a year and can confirm that if you are having fingerprint registration issues for samsung pass just disconnect Wi-Fi for the agree and register screens then your good to go after that.

0 Likes
Tballin21
Student
Options

Turn off wifi and register with cellular and that fixed the issue for me!!! Same with registering new face . 

0 Likes
Dream2big
First Poster
Options

Worked for me.

Thanks

0 Likes
MsterSandman
First Poster
Options

Can confirm this works! for some strange reason...

Just got a new S22 Ultra and I could not fully setup Samsung Pass, same issue, it would think for a second and then say to try again later.

but as soon as I turned off wifi, the app accepted my fingerprint perfectly.

Thanks strangers