Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A8 2018 MUST Get Android 10 - Petition

(Topic created on: 10-12-2019 02:46 PM)
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung's update policy, which means every phone gets 2 major updates MUST change. The Galaxy A8 2018 launched in January 2018 with nougat, before the s9 and Oreo while the j7 duo launched 2 months later with Oreo . This means the j7 duo, sold at exactly the same time as the A8, probably for half the price, will get android 10 while the A8 will not. Also, most A8 owners bought it after Oreo rolled out, 2-3 months later so not updating the phone to the newest version on android and making it a year's update before a worse phone should not be acceptable. And this may happen just because it was launched with a 1.5 year old os and had it for about 2 months. The Samsung update policy of 2 years is a lie for the A8 and a 2017 devices - it is more like only 1⅓ years of updates. Also there is nothing that the A6 2018 and all of the 2018 j series do better than the a8, despite all being sold at the same time and they will get android 10. Last year there was a similar petition for A 2017 devices to get pie, but Samsung didnt update them. Hopefully they do read this and learn that they won't make more sales of newer devices if they don't update older ones - it would just further damage their reputation. We must convince them to do this not just for the A8, but other devices like the S8 and note8 and for future updates as well. Android 10 will not roll out to Samsung devices for months, but if this is started now we can let them know early on so they have no excuses of not having enough time to make a new update, etc

206 REPLIES 206
bestofcomputer
Apprentice
Options
I totally agree because very soon it will be impossible to avoid buying a mobile without 5G and we dont want 5G because it is a weapon system and have nothing to do with an upgrade from 4G, so i will never buy another phone again in my whole life because I dont want a mobile with 5G so i will stick with my A8 which is 1 of the best smartphone in upper middle range price i had never seen from samsung before (and with 4G++ !!!) and therefore I request samsung to release android 10 to A8 and then I will be happy without 5G and without newer later android update that will be unnecessary whearas this android 10 is a milestone that samsung cannot afford to not provide to his customers. shame to samsung.
zakariaao
First Poster
Options

:serious-face-with-symbols-covering-mouth: same I also have the a8 2018 and before I had the j5 2017 and when I was scrolling down the list I was like I'm gonna go crazy if my old j5 was on the list (it died a horrible death) so yeah si wierd

aMACEzing
First Poster
Options

Now, I realized that Galaxy A8+ is not worth it for its price. It's really expensive way back last year when it released versus it's ***** lack of features like Bixby and now they will not release android 10 update for this ***** unit... I'm really disapointed with this phone and I shouldnt buy this unit last year.Not satisfied customer at all😔

Brandon8
First Poster
Options
Definitely agree with you TRUE.
shivansh
First Poster
Options

Even the next version of A8 series - Galaxy A8+ (2018) is also stuck with same issue. It is missing from the list of models receiving the OneUI 2 with Android 10 upgrade. The phone is absolutely capable to receive the upgrade and it's been less than 2 years that I bought this phone. Hence, the A8+ model shall also receive the upgrade.

FYI, we haven't received the OneUI 1.5 upgrade even till now. Not sure why Samsung is acting slow with upgrades even for the latest phones.

Note10KillBixby
Explorer
Options

Samsung does not care about you once the check has been cashed.

I have a Note 10+ and it still has Android 9.0, and Samsungs User One v.1

They can not be trusted. They are ***** like the rest of them

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@Qwerty7 wrote:

Samsung's update policy, which means every phone gets 2 major updates MUST change. The Galaxy A8 2018 launched in January 2018 with nougat, before the s9 and Oreo while the j7 duo launched 2 months later with Oreo . This means the j7 duo, sold at exactly the same time as the A8, probably for half the price, will get android 10 while the A8 will not. Also, most A8 owners bought it after Oreo rolled out, 2-3 months later so not updating the phone to the newest version on android and making it a year's update before a worse phone should not be acceptable. And this may happen just because it was launched with a 1.5 year old os and had it for about 2 months. The Samsung update policy of 2 years is a lie for the A8 and a 2017 devices - it is more like only 1⅓ years of updates. Also there is nothing that the A6 2018 and all of the 2018 j series do better than the a8, despite all being sold at the same time and they will get android 10. Last year there was a similar petition for A 2017 devices to get pie, but Samsung didnt update them. Hopefully they do read this and learn that they won't make more sales of newer devices if they don't update older ones - it would just further damage their reputation. We must convince them to do this not just for the A8, but other devices like the S8 and note8 and for future updates as well. Android 10 will not roll out to Samsung devices for months, but if this is started now we can let them know early on so they have no excuses of not having enough time to make a new update, etc

I partially disagree. I would very much like to get security upates for a longer period of time, but I can happily live with not-the-newest android version. Recently I had to use my old S5 mini for for two weeks, and that worked well with Android 7. Of course it had got its last security update years ago, and that was the problem, not Android 7.

0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options

Still, samsung phones recieve secutiry updates for a sufficient amount of time, 3 to 4 years to be exact. My old A3 2016 which was released in december 2015 is on a 2019 security patch. By this time, most people would have upgraded to a newer phone. Many people want the newest features an android update brings, and leaving out a phone while updating a far weaker model is unnaceptable. Personally I would rather samsung put their resources into developing new and meaningul Android feature updates and having quaterly security updates then just boring security updates with no features every month, which is what the A8 gets while the last time it got new features was back with android pie months ago. Look at the Galaxy A50 - that gets bug fixes and feature improvements every month along with security updates. 

KlemenC
Pioneer
Options

Yesterday (9/12/2019) they published a list of phones eligible for android 10 update through my samsung members app. No A8 and/or S8.

Looks like it's official! Blasphemy!

AkashVaren
First Poster
Options
I'm owning A8 plus (2018) almost many phones rolled out with Android 7(Nougat) but though this is a midrange phone it should be launched with Android 8(oreo), but I thought it might get android 10 (q) as a 3rd major update. please consider 2018 released phones and provide the Android Q update. please consider Samsung A8 plus (2018).