Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A71 whatsapp install causes phone to randomly turn itself off

(Topic created on: 24-05-2020 05:59 PM)
Prepared1874
First Poster
Options

Hi, please help. I have a brand new Galaxy A71 and initially used Smart Switch to transfer all of my stuff from my old Galaxy S7.

Everything was fine for about an hour and then the phone turned itself off. Didn't think it was a major problem at first, but then it kept doing it, maybe 1-2 times per hour.

I read a lot of potential 'fix's' but couldn't work out what was causing it. I booted the phone in Safe Mode and the phone did not turn itself off.

This led me to believe it is an issue with an App. After deleting around 50 apps I gave up and went for a factory reboot. When back to the initial set up, I didn't install any apps and phone remained on at all times. I installed whatsapp, verified my number and didn't restore my old messages, within an hour it turned itself off with only one app loaded, namely whatsapp. 

I have deleted the app and the phone stays on. Can anybody help with this please.

Regards

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

It does sound to be the app thats causing this by your excellent process of elimination via a Safe Mode.

By looking at the WhatsApp reviews on the Playstore is anyone else experiencing these issues ?

What version of WhatsApp are you running @Prepared1874 

I'm using version 2.20.157

It might be worth going into Settings_Apps_Tap WhatsApp _ Location _ Clear Cache and Data.

A person can also send a bug report to the WhatsApp developers too.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Prepared1874
First Poster
Options

New development: I carried out some further testing which consisted of me putting the phone in to safe mode overnight. I woke up this morning and the phone was off, so the fault is not being caused by the app but the phone itself. 

The phone is brand new and I have carried out 2 factory resets in the last 3 days and the problem still exists. I will be getting in touch with Samsung today and hopefully get some direction on how to proceed.

0 Likes
Prepared1874
First Poster
Options
Further to my last post, auto restart is not activated....the phone turns itself off at indeterminate times all throughout the day and night.
0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Are you able to confirm if the phone is completely off in the morning or it is on the lock screen waiting for your credentials @Prepared1874 ?

0 Likes
Prepared1874
First Poster
Options

Phone is completely off and has to be powered up again.

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Is the phone having enough battery in the morning when you turn this back on? Were you using any apps before going to bed that might be opened at the background when that happens? 

0 Likes
Prepared1874
First Poster
Options
Went to bed at around midnight last night with 85%. Rebooted in to safe mode before I went to sleep and therefore no third party apps in use when I went to sleep. Woke up around 0630, phone was off and when I turned it back on it had 80% battery.
0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

That is really odd! Is this happening only at night? 

0 Likes
Prepared1874
First Poster
Options

No, it has turned itself off 5 times already this morning. 

Could it be a SIM issue. It was sealed with a 'European Union SIM Card Only' sticker and come with a EU plug and I am in the UK using a UK SIM.

The SIM works fine, I can send SMS and make calls to and from the UK SIM no problems.

0 Likes