Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Device Maintenance ... Option to free-up storage now missing

(Topic created on: 07-06-2020 04:47 PM)
Colin9
Explorer
Options

I have a Galaxy A3 (2017) and use the Device Maintenance (DM) feature to free up storage. If you open DM, then tap Storage, it used to tell you how much unnecessary storage you are using with an option to delete it. However, ever since a recent update to DM, that has disappeared from my phone. I no longer get info about the storage being taken up by rubbish files, and there is no option to delete it all in one go. The wording on the screen still says "Free up storage spaceby deleting unused data ... (etc)" but there is no way to do this. Is it just me, or has this useful feature been removed from DM ? Assuming this is deliberate rather than unintended, can anyone advise an alternative way of finding and deleting these files ? Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

Hey @Colin9! Are you still having issues with this? If so, please go to: Settings > Device maintenance > Storage > Clean now. Can you delete the unwanted storage data to increase the performance of your phone now? 

0 Likes
Colin9
Explorer
Options

Thanks for your input, but that doesn't work. The "Clean now" option is missing. After an exchange with tech support via the Samsung Members app, it appears that facility has been deliberately removed from the latest app update. The only way to clean junk files now is to go into each app individually and clear the cache. Infuriating. 

COS528
Student
Options

This is complete rubish. My S7 was working great. Now it stared to have a lag because I can't clean the cache. I believe this is done on purpose so people will upgrade. I was really decided to continue with a Samsung flagship as my new phone in a year or so. Now I'm not so sure. I may go for one plus.

0 Likes
K20001
First Poster
Options

Read other comments on here, same issue with me, last update I think was in March 2020 and "Clean up" within Storage now disappeared. You can only Optimise now. You now only have "Clean up" within Memory. Has Samsung done this so the storage builds up quickly so then you have to purchase a new phone? Really not happy at this. Do Samsung not check this Community page & add their comments?? Someone kindly suggested using the Cache within each app but I don't have that option either. I have the Samsung A50, purchased June 2019.

subseamatt
First Poster
Options

Yeah, I'm really not happy with Samsung for this too!  Bad enough that most apps you can't move to the SD card to free up internal space (and even when you do they'll infuriatingly return to the internal memory at every update!), and then there's the continual bloatware cr@p for things I don't want and will never use but I'm forced to have them anyway taking up even more space unnecessarily.

My phone's in perfect condition and would be fine if i didnt have just 79mb of free internal space! (I don't even have many apps on it and no photos locally because they're all on my one drive.)

Samsung... #SortYourSh!tOut

IdDi
First Poster
Options
Samsung is getting worse every day now. Soon they'll lose respect if they continue like that.
Abdul_Wahab
Apprentice
Options

Hey everyone, I also had this issue and fixed it easily. It is long to write and hard to tell so I made a video on it. Go check it at this video. I did put hard work to make it as simple as possible, so please help me out too by liking the video (so others can too watch it) and subscribing to my channel (don't forget the bell).

Thank you for your help in advance :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
CristianGabriel
Pioneer
Options

It's not new. And they don't bother to implement a Storage Cleaner Option. That's just lazyness and careless from them and it sucks. If they keep acting like that, people will start to move away from Samsung because of their Software support policy and so on.

0 Likes
CristianGabriel
Pioneer
Options

@K20001 wrote:

Read other comments on here, same issue with me, last update I think was in March 2020 and "Clean up" within Storage now disappeared. You can only Optimise now. You now only have "Clean up" within Memory. Has Samsung done this so the storage builds up quickly so then you have to purchase a new phone? Really not happy at this. Do Samsung not check this Community page & add their comments?? Someone kindly suggested using the Cache within each app but I don't have that option either. I have the Samsung A50, purchased June 2019.

I have an A50 too. Indeed they don't care about the Community and their are not doing anything about that. Their only priority is money digging with newly released smartphones while leaving the Software behind and making Software Support much worse.