Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A12 screen keeps going dark during phone call

(Topic created on: 12-02-2022 07:14 PM)
Gerry Peters
Journeyman
Options
When I call my Voicemail, many times I need to input numbers on the keypad. The phone goes dark in an erratic way, I keep turning it back by hitting the side button as it turns itself off. I may get 1 number in and then it turns off the screen, I have to turn it back on the put in a 2nd number. It's maddening. 

I'm not at all concerned about saving the battery life by having the screen  on. I tried changing some things in Settings that made it stay on longer, but it doesn't seem to work for the phone calls to VM.

When I make a phone call, I'd prefer the display screen to stay on the whole time. I know when I put the phone up to my ear the phone thinks this is a good time to make the screen go dark. That would be ok, if I could control it when I take it away from my ear,

20 REPLIES 20
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page may be helpful to you

Samsung phone screen doesn't turn off or on during calls

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01200782/
0 Likes
Gerry Peters
Journeyman
Options

I've already tried that link - no effect. Any more sugggestions?

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Try going settings
Lockscreen
Always on Display
Always on Display ON

Go Settings
Display
Screen Timeout
Try setting time
2 minutes
0 Likes
Gerry Peters
Journeyman
Options

I already had Display Screen Timeout at
2 minutes, For the Lock screen setting, it doesn't show
Always on Display. It only says Lock screen type - swipe and Smart Lock is grayed out
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Gerry Peters: Do you have a case or cover on the device? Your Galaxy A12 has a proximity sensor which is designed to place the screen in idle mode when you hold the phone up to your ear, to prevent accidental button presses. With this in mind, your case may be covering the proximity sensor, which in turn is turning off the screen. If the above isn't applicable, try heading to Settings > Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures > Keep Screen On while Viewing > On, as this will keep the screen active when you're looking at it, using the front camera to detect your face. 

0 Likes
Gerry Peters
Journeyman
Options

Settings > Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures > Keep Screen On while Viewing > On.  I tried this on and off and the screen still goes black when I hold it to my ear.  Is this setting supposed to be on or off? I turned it on and restarted the phone. The screen still turns itself off when I hold it to my ear. I tried changing this setting to off and it still turns itself off when I put it to my ear.

I cleaned the front surface with Windex and a paper towel and then used a lens cloth to clean the sensor, which I assume is on the very top middle of the front screen. It does seem to be working better, but I'd like it to not turn the screen off if possible

0 Likes
Gerry Peters
Journeyman
Options

Settings > Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures > Keep Screen On while Viewing > On.  I tried this on and off and the screen still goes black when I hold it to my ear.  Is this setting supposed to be on or off? I turned it on and restarted the phone. The screen still turns itself off when I hold it to my ear. I tried changing this setting to off and it still turns itself off when I put it to my ear.

I cleaned the front surface with Windex and a paper towel and then used a lens cloth to clean the sensor, which I assume is on the very top middle of the front screen. It does seem to be working better, but I'd like it to not turn the screen off if possible

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Gerry Peters: Apologies for the confusion. The proximity sensor is an embedded feature, therefore if you hold the phone up to your ear then the screen will turn off/go into an idle state until you lower the phone. My suggestion regarding the Keep Screen On While Viewing setting was made on the assumption that you would be looking at the phone while using the dial pad. As a workaround, place the phone on Speaker, and avoid raising it to your ear, until all dial pad inputs have been completed. 

0 Likes
Gerry Peters
Journeyman
Options

Can I disable the proximity sensor ? I'm not worried about saving battery life, since I'm not away from my home that long at a time.

0 Likes