Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Windows 11 22H2 - Safeguard Hold

(Topic created on: 09-11-2022 06:40 PM)
missedbeat
Apprentice
Options

Unable to install the latest update to Windows 11 (22H2) as it states my Galaxy Book2 is on Safeguard Hold and can not be updated.

The site explains - 'Safeguard holds prevent a device with a known issue from being offered a new feature update. We use safeguard holds to make sure you have a positive experience as your device moves to a new version of Windows.  '

It does not stipulate what the issue is; does anyone know?

Peter H

0 Likes
40 REPLIES 40
Jamze
Pathfinder
Options
Got a hunch it might take a while to get it...

Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy Book2 Pro 360
Galaxy Tab S7
Galaxy Buds2 Pro
0 Likes
Jamze
Pathfinder
Options

Reset my Book2 Pro 360 to the factory image last night. So none of my software or drivers is installed.

22H2 still wouldn't install. It tried, downloaded and started to install. But then failed with an error complaining about incompatible drivers.

Interestingly, it doesn't even say it's on the way in Windows Update anymore.

Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy Book2 Pro 360
Galaxy Tab S7
Galaxy Buds2 Pro
0 Likes
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

Does anyone know when this 22H2 update is coming yet? Any word from Samsung themselves?

I saw something earlier in October stating that they expected the hold to be lifted by mid-October and here we are one day away from November. 

Apparently it's something to do with the Windows Hello/Fingerprint sensor I think I read. But this wait is taking ages. I got my Galaxy Book2 Pro at the end of September thinking it wouldn't be long until I could update it to 22H2 - the initial Windows 11 release which it runs is horrible.

0 Likes
Quentin976
Pioneer
Options

We don't have any information from Samsung nor Microsoft on the 22H2 safeguard's 😕

It seems related to "Samsung ESS enabled ADL devices with Egistec fingerprint Sensor driver" but there's no update in Samsung Update and https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/known-issues/browse/?WT.mc_id=win11update&O... shows that update is not available 😕

I'm in the same case and it's annoying

0 Likes
mofops
First Poster
Options

This is due to windows hello. If you have enrolled to a work account, remove the work account from the laptop. Delete all windows hello login data (PIN, fingerprint, faceid) and also disable "for improved safety only allow windows hello sign-in".

Download windows 11 upgrade assistant. It would now happily download and install 2H22 (it will complain about the block if you dont remove windows hello above).

Happy installing. You can enable windows hello after upgrade. It should work fine.

0 Likes
smsdavis
First Poster
Options

Your answer make no sense.  Unless your 1 tb of hard disk space was nearly full, this should not be the reason for the hold.  You are confusing RAM that is used to run programs and ROM which is used for disk storage.  If you don't have enough RAM you need to add memory sticks to your machine, increasing your hard drive size will not affect that issue.

0 Likes
smsdavis
First Poster
Options

@Jamze What "script" did you run to get the list of items that are holding it up?  

0 Likes
Jamze
Pathfinder
Options
It's in that ZDNET article. I think you need to use the web version of this forum to see the link.

Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy Book2 Pro 360
Galaxy Tab S7
Galaxy Buds2 Pro
0 Likes
missedbeat
Apprentice
Options

Found the answer, I've sold my Galaxy Book 2 and purchased a Dell XPS 15 and Windows is now up to date!!

0 Likes
smsdavis
First Poster
Options

I'm with you on that one. I'm about to leave Samsung as well over this and the repeating screen cracking.  I have never in 35 years of working with screens, laptops, phones, etc. NEVER cracked a screen.  Yet in 5 months I'm on my second Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360 because the screen keeps cracking in the corner.  Bad design.

0 Likes