Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Windows 11 22H2 - Safeguard Hold

(Topic created on: 03-10-2022 09:33 AM)
missedbeat
Apprentice
Options

Unable to install the latest update to Windows 11 (22H2) as it states my Galaxy Book2 is on Safeguard Hold and can not be updated.

The site explains - 'Safeguard holds prevent a device with a known issue from being offered a new feature update. We use safeguard holds to make sure you have a positive experience as your device moves to a new version of Windows.  '

It does not stipulate what the issue is; does anyone know?

Peter H

0 Likes
Go to solution
40 REPLIES 40
RealLastRock
First Poster
Options

Worked Instantly! Thank you so much!

0 Likes
bjplundin
First Poster
Options

I follow mofops instrucion and it works.

0 Likes
Mouli P C
Student
Options

I have the same issue. Unable to update Win 11 22H2.

Tried connecting with Samsung on-line support.  Even the support executive could not help.
The support person suggested to connect with Microsoft Support.

Poor Samsung does not have a clue about the issue.

Do not really know when the update will be available for Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 (i7) notebooks.

0 Likes
Mouli P C
Student
Options

One way to get Win 11 22H2 on blocked Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 is through Windows Insider Program.

Sign-up for Windows Insider Program

Start > Settings > Windows Update > Windows Insider Program 

Choose the channel and sign-up

Restart the system and check windows update to download and install the latest Windows 11 version.

This worked in my case and I am now on Windows 11 22H2 with Build Number 10.0.22622.601

Good Luck

Solution
Jamze
Pathfinder
Options

Same here. Downloaded the MS Windows 11 Installation Assistant, and it installed with no issues.

I didn't have to do anything with Windows Hello PINs or fingerprints. Once it was installed there were some more MS and Samsung updates to install in the usual way.

Ways to install Windows 11 - Microsoft Support

Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy Book2 Pro 360
Galaxy Tab S7
Galaxy Buds2 Pro
PaulM1
Options

I've merged two similar threads about the Windows 11 22h2 update, as I feel that it is easier to view these posts in a consolidated format.

@Jamze has made an excellent suggestion, so I recommend following these steps to see whether you can also get the update this way.

0 Likes
Ehanderson
Pioneer
Options

The update installed for me today. I did nothing out of the ordinary. I checked for updates, and then it started downloading and installing on it's own. I haven't looked at the information previously provided yet, but I don't really need to now.

Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 i7 512/16
Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra 1TB/16
Galaxy S23 Ultra 512/12
Galaxy Tab S6
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy A32
Galaxy Gear
And a host of other older units
0 Likes
Rick_Tad
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

This may be relevant to this thread and help others who have a similar problem to mine after installing 22H2.

I had the 'safeguard hold' for several weeks and when it eventually lifted I installed the update.  Everything seemed fine but at next boot neither the fingerprint nor PIN option would work (Windows Hello was on prior to update).

Searched around for a fix and this finally worked for me....

Note this fix involves modifying a registry entry so do not use it unless you are comfortable with this.....

((Before doing any of this make sure you can sign-in OK with your normal password using the 'Sign-in Options' on the initial Windows logon screen)).

Create a System Restore Point to be on the safe side.....

First, remove any fingerprints and the PIN number set up in Account>Security>Sign in Options..

Second, make the following change in the registry...

Note - this turns off Windows Hello option for signing in...

Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key and the R key together.
Type Regedit and hit the Enter key.
When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions.
In the right pane, double click on the DWORD entry named 'value' set it to 0

Exit the registry editor (File > Exit)

Now Shutdown your laptop (not restart).

Start your laptop...

The laptop will start and (after pressing the ENTER key) you should be able to enter your Windows password and get in to your account.

((You will see that the Windows Hello options are no longer available.))

Go back in to the registry editor and set the Default value back to 1 as follows....

Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key and the R key together.
Type Regedit and hit the Enter key.
When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions.
In the right pane, double click on the DWORD entry named 'value' set it to 1

Exit the registry editor (File > Exit)

Now Shutdown your laptop (not restart).

Start your laptop...

The laptop will start and (after pressing the ENTER key) you should be able to enter your Windows password and get in to your account.

You can now setup a PIN and fingerprint(s) once again (PIN first)...

Next time you boot, the PIN and fingerprint sign in options should work - they did for me...

The problem seems to be related to having the Windows Hello setup before the 22H2 update is installed - something gets nerfed.  The above process basically turns off Windows Hello completely and then restarts it allowing a normal situation to be resumed.

Hope this helps if you have the same problem as me.  Only do it if you're comfortable with editing the registry and know how to do a System Restore if all is not as it should be after the fix.

Cheers,

Rick

Ehanderson
Pioneer
Options

Upon reboot, I had the same issue. My pin wasn't accepted nor my fingerprint. 

I logged in with my password, and set up my pin and fingerprint again and have had no further issues since. 

Just my .02 cents

Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 i7 512/16
Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra 1TB/16
Galaxy S23 Ultra 512/12
Galaxy Tab S6
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy A32
Galaxy Gear
And a host of other older units
Rick_Tad
Apprentice
Options
Sadly that wasn't the case for me - tried that first with no success - glad it worked for you 👍🏻
0 Likes