Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Windows 11 22H2 - Safeguard Hold

(Topic created on: 03-10-2022 09:33 AM)
missedbeat
Apprentice
Options

Unable to install the latest update to Windows 11 (22H2) as it states my Galaxy Book2 is on Safeguard Hold and can not be updated.

The site explains - 'Safeguard holds prevent a device with a known issue from being offered a new feature update. We use safeguard holds to make sure you have a positive experience as your device moves to a new version of Windows.  '

It does not stipulate what the issue is; does anyone know?

Peter H

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Jamze
Pathfinder
Options

Same here. Downloaded the MS Windows 11 Installation Assistant, and it installed with no issues.

I didn't have to do anything with Windows Hello PINs or fingerprints. Once it was installed there were some more MS and Samsung updates to install in the usual way.

Ways to install Windows 11 - Microsoft Support

Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy Book2 Pro 360
Galaxy Tab S7
Galaxy Buds2 Pro

View solution in context

40 REPLIES 40
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
The newer windows need a certain amount of free ram. If this is not possible then it will not install.
As I have found out in the past.
missedbeat
Apprentice
Options

I have 16GB of RAM, are you suggesting that this machine is not capable of running Windows!?

Is there a way of getting around it...?

Peter

nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
I had a 1tb ssd and when I upgraded to Windows 10... I could not because it needed more ram. So a 2tb later and I was able to take Windows 10.

You could try and fool Windows by installing a virtual disk.. something like ramdisk or similar
0 Likes
missedbeat
Apprentice
Options

Sorry, you mean disk space rather than RAM. I have 200GB of free space which exceeds the MS minimum requirements.

The message implies an issue with the hardware itself but is not specific. May have to try and get a call with Samsung.

Peter

0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
It will be on hold by Samsung so they can make sure the update is trouble free as I assume its not just a minor patch.

I have the Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360 and it is showing the same as yours @missedbeat.

I'd rather wait and it be trouble free 👍
Jamze
Pathfinder
Options

Same here on another Book2 Pro 360. No issue waiting for Samsung to check it's OK to upgrade to.

Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy Book2 Pro 360
Galaxy Tab S7
Galaxy Buds2 Pro
missedbeat
Apprentice
Options

Is this something Samsung do with a major release? How long do they take in reviewing software that has been in public beta for months?

My first Samsung laptop so interested in this stance which certainly singles them out from the manufacturers I have used in the past! Seems like a great idea as long as it doesn't take months...

Peter

0 Likes
Jamze
Pathfinder
Options

Looking into it a bit more, it's not Samsung doing checks.

MS knows from its telemetry if you have something on your PC that is a known issue with 22H2. They'll block the installation until these are fixed.

I've just run the script to find out what's stopping it on my Book2 360, and it's quite a long list.

Secure Launch data not migrated on IceLake(Client), TigerLake, ..., Chromium, Microsoft Office etc.

I'm guessing the fixes might be needed from MS, Samsung or a third party so we might be waiting a while.

Why can't I get Windows 11 22H2 yet? | ZDNET

Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy Book2 Pro 360
Galaxy Tab S7
Galaxy Buds2 Pro
0 Likes
Ehanderson
Pioneer
Options

I'm glad I stumbled on this post. Thanks for sharing this information. I've got the same device, 16gb, 512ssd, but not knowing why it's not updating is a bit annoying. 

I have an MS Surface Go 3, and it was updated already, and I like the start menu features specifically. Though, I really did like what they did with the WIndows 10 start menu myself, I live with what we get. I am just looking forward to having folders in the pinned area.

Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 i7 512/16
Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra 1TB/16
Galaxy S23 Ultra 512/12
Galaxy Tab S6
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy A32
Galaxy Gear
And a host of other older units