Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED - black screens, connection losses, and more

(Topic created on: 20-03-2024 04:34 PM)
ElfVierzehn
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I have the G9 OLED for two days and have really lousy problems:

- when I start a game in fullscreen mode with the native resolution of 5120x1440, the monitor sometimes shuts down. There's no way to restore the image until I'm somehow able to either blindly quit the game or restart the PC - sometimes only the reset button helps.

- When starting certain apps or fullscreen applications, I hear a sound like a device is connecting and disconnecting. I also hear this randomly - it stopped, when I disconnected the USB cable from the monitor and ramains happening when I start full screen applications and exit them.

- I randomly have black screens every now and then without doing anything specific. And quite extreme: If I watch a video via any media player, enter fullscreen and move the mouse, the screen goes black for 3 seconds and then returns. If I move the mouse again, the screen goes black again. This goes on and on.

- I am using an RTX 4090 with this monitor. When I set it to 240 Hz, the GPU memory clock rate is not downclocked when the PC is idle. That means the GPU memory clock (not GPU clock) is always running at max clock, which is not ideal for power consumption and temperatures.

I use a Display Port 1.4 cable with 32.4 Gbit/s, but also have an HDMI 2.1 cable with 48 gbit/s. This happens with both cables. As soon as I lower the monitor Hz to 120, the memory MHz goes back to the correct idle value, as it should. Is this a normal behavior?

- when I turn off VRR on the monitor, it is no longer possible to set the native resolution.

The monitor is running on the latest firmware version 1023.

These are honestly such massive problems that I am almost determined to return this monitor to Samsung as soon as possible.

Any input from more experienced Samsung users who have been able to remedy these issues?

Thanks so much!

145 REPLIES 145
Kriminal
Explorer
Options

I've the smart version (LS49CG950SUXEN)

0 Likes
Kriminal
Explorer
Options

The technician are arrived with a new G9 mainboard and a soft "mattress" to change it.

They didn't have nothing to check the issue except my computer.

Samsung sent they for check the issue, change the board and close the ticket.

0 Likes
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

Right so yeah pretty much a case "oh i was only told to do this"

which turned out to be a waste of time.

Have you followed up with support about this as in why didn't they know about the tried update and attempt to  get it installed ? because again really we want to find out if this firmware update they couldn't install at the time would solve the problem and that's what whoever they sent out to you should have been aware of. It seems to be a typical thing with them because when i reported the issue i had with my last monitor the service repair people checked with an engineer and they said the mainboard could be an issue.

Soi if I had arranged for them to come out, no doubt they would have done the same thing. I bought the monitor from Amazon so I just got a replacement from them. Didn't really see the point in getting someone out to replace a component.

The other thing to add on that is that if it's done by the people who Samsung refer repairs to then they aren't samsung at all anyway and if the ticket is closed then as you say the replacement monitor more than likely won't change anything and we're pretty much back at square one :smiling-face: 

Just hoping that the repair people have sent a decent report back and or samsung are getting the problem sorted

0 Likes
Badgerslayer7
Journeyman
Options
How are people connected to there monitors? Me personally I use hdmi 2.1. Thanks @Kriminal for keeping us updated.
0 Likes
rikoriko123
Journeyman
Options
0 Likes
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

hi the link isn't working for me..can you check it please?

edit : I assume this is it...if not let us know thanks :smiling-face:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Monitors-and-Memory/Odyssey-OLED-G93SC-Screen-Blackout-Issue-Pos...

Badgerslayer7
Journeyman
Options
Just contacted Samsung support again. Apparently there's bo new firmware in the works. More interested in running through trouble shooting. Ie is your cable connected properly. *****
Tallarn
Journeyman
Options

so then the question is if there's no new firmeware in the works....how come they sent kriminal an update to test ?

To be honest i don't think the chat support people know anything anyway, that's not a slight on them that's just the nature of the job is to go through the troubleshooting list and then refer to the repair team accordingly. At least that's the impression I get.

0 Likes
Shwinnx
Journeyman
Options

Hello everyone,

I've posted about our issue on the US Samsung forums and also shared it on a subreddit. Since then, several people have reached out to me with the link here, confirming we're all experiencing the same problems. I suggest we continue to collectively reach out to Samsung to ensure our concerns are heard. Here are my posts on the US forum and the Reddit thread for more visibility and to join our discussions:

Samsung US Community Post: Odyssey OLED G93SC Screen Blackout Issue Post-Firmware Update

Reddit Forum Post: Samsung G9 OLED G93 Version New Firmware 1006.3

Let's keep the pressure on Samsung and make sure they address our issue!

Shwinnx
Journeyman
Options

From those of us in the U.S keep pushing so we can get a new firmware released to fix this issue!