Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsing SSD 970 EVO Plus Running Hot

(Topic created on: 26-03-2022 05:04 AM)
Marc100
Journeyman
Options

My Dell XPS 13 9350 laptop was delivered new in 2016 and was fitted with a Samsung SSD PM 951 NVMe 1Tb.  Idling speed of this drive was around 45 to 50C.  Under load - video editing for example, the temperature varied from 55 to 60C.

Two months ago I replaced the PM 951 with a Samsung SSD  970 EVO Plus NVMe 2Tb.  This drive idles around 55 to 60 C.  Under load it rises to 65to 70C.

While running Samsung Magician performance benchmark just now it rose to 76C.

Is this normal?  Does Samsung consider this to be acceptable given that Magician says "too high"?

82 REPLIES 82
GrantJG
Apprentice
Options

My Gigabyte X399 Mobo already has heat sink type covers screwed down on top of the NVME drives. The problem is more that these are oriented vertically and have little direct airflow over them. My case doesn’t have a side fan which would direct air straight onto Mobo, instead they opted for complete see through glass for aesthetics. I have upped the speed on my two bottom fans that blow upwards and across the Mobo and this provides the 10c drop in operating temp. Not sure how they provide better cooling without having a small  fan on top of the NVME heat sink. 

0 Likes
davmax
Apprentice
Options

I had an Asrock motherboard previously. The EVO ran very hot so attached a heatsink with fan. This made little difference. Thermal measurement indicated the mobo was the main cause of heat. Installed a Gigabyte Z590 Gaming mobo, heat sinks were part of the mobo, I discarded the supplied M.2 heatsink and installed EVO complete with attached heatsink and fan. Big difference. The Z590 runs cool. So for 26C ambient the EVO runs 40C, one or two degrees above the CPU core temps. Gigabyte place the M.2 next to the CPU fan, I believe this helps.

0 Likes
Duga Duga DID
Student
Options

My silicon power nmve m.2 runs at 26 degrees, 24/7.

850 Evo SSD, 32. degrees
840 PRO SSD, 30 degrees
970 EVO M.2 500, 47 degrees
970 EVO m.2 2TB, 55 degrees

0 Likes
Duga Duga DID
Student
Options

Wrong. My silicon power nmve m.2 runs at 26 degrees, 24/7.

970 EVO M.2 500, 47-57 degrees (inside after market heat sink)
970 EVO M.2 2TB, 55-68 degrees (under motherboard heatsink)

Looks like Samsung may have finally begun sacrificing the quality of the products for planned obsolescence. Time will tell. Excessive heat is not good for silicon. Perhaps why they dropped prices on these products by $200

0 Likes
Daniel Hendricks
Apprentice
Options

That is such a poor response from them. We wouldn't have to put super-thick copper heatsinks on the dang things if they didn't run so hot! I have thick copper heatsinks on each of them with ample airflow and they still run above 55°C, causing S.M.A.R.T. warnings. I had to disable write caching on my RAID setup because they became way too hot, which greatly diminishes their usefulness. 😠

0 Likes
Daniel Hendricks
Apprentice
Options

That is such a poor response. We wouldn't have to put super-thick copper heatsinks on the dang things if they didn't run so hot! I have thick copper heatsinks on each of them with ample airflow and they still run above 55°C, causing S.M.A.R.T. warnings. I had to disable write caching on my RAID setup because they became way too hot, which greatly diminishes their usefulness. 😠

0 Likes
Daniel Hendricks
Apprentice
Options

That is such a poor response. We wouldn't have to put super-thick copper heatsinks on the dang things if they didn't run so hot! I have thick copper heatsinks on each of them with ample airflow and they still run above 55°C, causing S.M.A.R.T. warnings.

I had to disable write caching on my RAID setup because they became way too hot, which greatly diminishes their usefulness. 😠

0 Likes
apknikes
First Poster
Options

I also have same issue with my Samsung system, should i replace ssd. ?

0 Likes
nikod
First Poster
Options

Bought 2 x Samsung 970 EvoPlus M.2 disks at the same time.

Used them for caching disks in a synology, and one disk was 42-44 degrees, and the other was 33-34 degrees.

Changed the slot, as i thought the airflow might be different, but it made no difference.

Eventually the hotter disk died, and now i'm waiting for a replacement.

0 Likes
Ashish Roushan
First Poster
Options

My ssd is at 80 degrees while installing forza horizon 4 is this ok or harmful for the ssd?

0 Likes