Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey G7 - Screen stuck on black and OSD Menu does not show.

(Topic created on: 05-04-2021 06:22 PM)
bawb88
Apprentice
Options

I just bought this maybe a month ago, so it has the newest firmware (I double checked after setting it up).  My pc went into sleep mode earlier but when I turned it back on nothing shows up at all. Just a black screen. Even pressing the menu joystick fails to get the OSD menu to show. I can turn the monitor off and on though.

Technically this happened twice now, the first time I was able to get it to come back after unplugging the power source from the monitor. But after a second time of going to sleep and turning my computer back on again, its back to all black. I've tried all manner of combination of unplugging power source and input source to no avail. I even tried the DP and HDMI wires on a different laptop and different monitor. They work fine, so its not the wires. I even tried the G7 on another laptop and still same black screen issue.

A couple times, the screen started to flicker back on to show my desktop but that never lasted more than .5 seconds. It did happen a few times. One "series" of flickers seemed to happen when I was messing with the power cord.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, I've even rebooted in safe mode and restarted, shut the computer down for a bit and turned it back on. But nothing. Everything else is fine, even the laptop recognizes that the G7 is plugged in and has it listed as one of the active monitors (I run a dual monitor set up, the G7 and a Lenovo, plus the laptop screen. Though generally I close the laptop lid and that screen is off).

29 REPLIES 29
SquareOne14
Pioneer
Options

For anyone having these issues, send it back for refund as soon as possible, the problems will only get worse and eventually be breaking, Samsung will do its best to not be responsible for it and hoping it will be fine will just not be enough, theyve really let the QA and Customer Service go to hell.... the monitors just dont stand the test of time

0 Likes
Options

Is there a way to force undo the update? Mine auto updated a bit ago and now, while it will turn on the OSD barely operates like i got it to pull up once in the last 3 hours and it was just laggy as all hell like i'm talking it took 30 minutes to switch an input and now i can't get the OSD to pull up again, please for the love of christ tell me there is a way to hard reset this thing back to factory without using the on monitor software

0 Likes
Ha4242
First Poster
Options

Hey I have the same exact problem. Am guessing there is no point whatsoever to give this to the Samsung repair centre. How did you manage to get a refund ?

0 Likes
Options

Try a new power supply

0 Likes
Decerto
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Unfortunately I never ended up getting a refund for this monitor and it has been sat gathering dust since my last post. Not had a single issue with the ROG monitor I purchased as a replacement so goes to show that there is something definitely wrong with the Odyssey that is causing this.

Despite multiple chats and emails back and forth with Samsung, they were unwilling to issue a refund and simply expected me to repeatedly send the monitor in for repair even though this failed to rectify anything.

I would still recommend trying the repair route at least once in case they actually learned from past mistakes and developed a way to resolve the matter. If this fails then I wish you the best of luck trying to receive a refund.

Hopefully you have only recently made your purchase, as if they refuse to issue a refund then you can seek further assistance via your payment provider instead. My issues came up just outside of PayPal's time window for dispute which I think really hindered my ability to actually get my money back.

As a side note, with the post reminding me I still have this thing, I have just set the monitor back up and it appears to be back to normal. Going to use it as an occasional secondary monitor and TV to see how it goes. Hopefully it will hold up being used in this fashion given it is less intense so should better manage the temperatures. 

0 Likes
MasterWampire
First Poster
Options

Hi.

Got my Odyssey about 6-7 months ago. At first it, it would black out "randomly" or so i thought, but not often.
And eventually, i either stopped noticing it, or it just happened so rarely i paid it no mind.
5 months ago, i switched from Windows to Linux. And it started up frequently then. I started to read a ton of posts, and posting on forums about this, but found little to no help.
 Just got done moving, and set up my rig again, and then noticed. It's only "blacking out" when i use the Displayport cable, not the HDMI. - But on the HDMI, it can only run 144Hz. Which is not why i bought this monitor.
 So, i started to experimenting, and noticed, my screen would "black out" when ever i would start up an app, or a program.
 Meaning, it ONLY BO when i start a program or app,  but also, it doesn't ALWAYS BO when i start an app or a program.
 Looking at other posts, i've seen people talking about the monitor overheating. And not even very much. Some have fixed it, with a jerry rigged air supply on the PSU inside the screen.
 Though, still not convinced that's the issue. Because though many stories sound very similar, some report HDMI also gives them issues, some can't get the monitor back online, after a reboot and minor differences like this...

But yes, i am VERY surprised Samsung doesn't seem to give a flying... About this issue...

But that's just my 5 cents on the matter...

0 Likes
Members_P9hTf2e
First Poster
Options

Oh man. This just hapened to me. 1 year old monitor
going to send it to the Shop

such a grief,€600 monitor

iveta1968
First Poster
Options

We got the same problem, back lights come up but menu do not shows. How did you sorted your problem?

AdultingMyBest
First Poster
Options

For anyone coming here in 2024 or later, I have an Odyssey G9 Neo that does the same thing and I have it hooked up to a machine running Win 11. For me, hitting the Ctrl+Shift+Win+B keys to reset the display connection brings the monitor back from this weird, interim black state. Hopefully that works for you as well. Cheers!

0 Likes
NickJuniors
First Poster
Options

I just got back from a week long vacation, and noticed my monitor had also turned black and nothing on screen first thing was to turn off and turn on but the monitor menu wouldn't show, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in.. still nothing.. contacted support, and did the same test and nothing. Unfortunately, date of manucacture is Jan 2023, so I might be out of luck for warranty.  Tried to leave it of for awhile.. nothing.. just the blue light blinks every now and then. Gosh we need a fix.. wonder how to update firmware with a black screen.. samsung should acknowledge this problem.. there are way too many opeope with the saem issue.  

0 Likes