Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire risk?

(Topic created on: 05-03-2023 01:49 AM)
Egg1
Voyager
Options
I bought a G7 Odyssey 32" curved monitor which after less than 90 days developed a fault ( see picture )
It has been suggested to me by an expert that this is an indication it was close to catching fire and that similar instances are regularly seen.
Possibly an LED burnt out and melting the film over screen I am told.
I do remember a smell of burning plastic I couldn't trace.
Samsung arranged a repair, but if this is the case I do not want it back and would like a refund of my money for dangerous goods.
Am I within my rights?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SocietyGirl
Community Manager
Options

My apologies, I misunderstood.
So, the TFT panel has been replaced, as per your claim that there was a defect, even though we couldn't reproduce it in the repair centre. Just for clarity though, there was (and is) no fire risk whatsoever with the monitor and if need, we can show you evidence of such via PM.

Again, apologies for the confusion, hopefully that clears things up!

Say hi to us on socials -  @SamsungUK

View solution in context

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
First thing to do is to contact the seller of the TV
If you have any concerns, then stop using it and get it checked out.
Ive not personally heard of a TV causing a fire. Well not modern TV's
Clearly there is a fault and will need a repair
0 Likes
AsadM
Options

Hi @Egg1I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this issue. Please can you send a Private Message to Sam_UK by following the steps in the link below, and I or one of the other mods will be on hand to assist you further.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm... 

0 Likes
Egg1
Voyager
Options
That's very nice of you, I already spoke with a representative of Samsung who arranged its collection last Friday to go to a repair centre.
My question upon hearing this information is about my rights as a consumer over possible safety issues.
Will I get a report of the issue from repair company?
0 Likes
Egg1
Voyager
Options
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says about 8,900 flat-screen TVs are being recalled because a faulty electronic component that can catch fire. Six incidents of the TVs overheating, smoking or catching fire have been reported, the agency says.
0 Likes
Egg1
Voyager
Options
You may not have heard personally, but it's not unlike Samsung...
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/smart-tv-catching-fire/td-p/4284339
0 Likes
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
In 2020 186 million tvs were sold. Its a shame but defects creep in
G G
Egg1
Voyager
Options
They sure do, but worrying if it sets off a smoke alarm
0 Likes
Egg1
Voyager
Options
Well today I was informed it is repaired and a replacement TFT panel fitted.
No further detail.
All it has to do is survive another DPD journey.
It also means no evidence of the film burning except the picture.
I am looking forward to it's return, hopefully as it should be this time, but I will be wary of leaving it unattended and switched on!
Nice quick service to be fair.
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

I'm very glad to read that your monitor has been repaired and is on its way back to you, @Egg1.

Should you have any questions about the repair that has been completed, I recommend liaising with the engineer. You can also discuss this with the Support Team with which you were in contact.

You can read more about the warranty here:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/