Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Neo G9 ISSUES

(Topic created on: 25-08-2021 01:13 AM)
James45
Journeyman
Options

Hello hm i've recently bought a samsung NEO G9 49 inch monitor, and have been plagued issues

First of all i've got horizontal lines running across the whole monitor on solid Colorurs i think its the FALD array thing. i dont think it should be visible ?... then HDR doesnt work properly it just puts a grey like filter on the screen... and washed out colours 

Harvey norman wont replace my unit because they said theres nothing wrong with it. now they wont even go over it with a fine comb because they didnt spend their hard earned money on it.... 

Samsung were going to send tech to my home but we are in lockdown so they've postponed it... 

i mean releasing a product thats half broken and plagued with issues ?. is this what samsung is all about ? we are just overpaying beta testers ?.. Very dissapointing.

18 REPLIES 18
Jnormen
Journeyman
Options

Same here. The interesting thing is WHY do Samsung have a forum for help or feedback when they ignore everything. Is so stupid of a company. If we are beta tester, it's not ok, if we pay for the product and then they just ignore us. It's also interesting to se other comments about getting contact with 1st line Samsung support and they blame on Nvidia, Microsoft etc and say "there is no problems with our screens" 80% of the people who complain are just wrong. 
I have been truly Samsung fan for a long time now. Monitors, Tvs, Mobile phones etc... But this ignorance is just stupid and they will loose me as a customer. Why buy things from a company that gives a ***** about the customers. And not least early adopters that just want to have a working unit.  And also give feedback about the products? 

If all those issues are no issues. They Samsung just put it on your specs.
scanlines is no fault
misscolored lines over the screen is normal
HDR all grey and dim and not usable are normal

Or add to a manual what settings need to be done to make it all work. 

James45
Journeyman
Options

Clearly they couldnt give a flying rats ass about customers since they are muti billion dollar company. this is unacceptable. if were werent in lockdown i would march down to fair tradings.. and make them open a investigation onto this.  

i will never buy from samsung ever again. this is just wrong. 

PawPaw
Pathfinder
Options
The two issues you mention are well reported and confirmed faults.....follow this thread..
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/oyfb64/ok_so_my_neo_g9_just_arrived_and_not_go...
0 Likes
Maticks
First Poster
Options

I feel your pain also bought the Neo G9 from Harvery Norman on release.
HDR seems to be broken within the Monitor and Nvidia Drivers and Windows 10 from what i can see.

This is likely an issue across all three who knows when that is going to be fixed.. but i do have a way to fix most of your issues in SDR.

I have my monitor running at 240Hz on an Nvidia GPU 3080 with the display port cable in the box.
HDMI 2.1 on this monitor i don't believe can do 240Hz there was a spec sheet i saw where it could only do 120Hz.

My settings are

Adaptive Sync On
Refresh Rate 240
I have Black Equalizer set to 14, Black Equalizer cannot exceed 14 otherwise, it causes both random light flickering across the screen and also Scanlines. ( this might be a per panel thing, load up webpage with scanlines drop dropping the Black Equalizer till they disappear).
The UFO Test page isn't a real-world example inversion is something Samsung need to fix the only page i can make scanlines appear now is from https://www.testufo.com/inversion#pattern=uniformity&ppf=5
When i talk real world, macrumors site in dark mode causes scanlines and facebook marketplace images.
Picture Mode should be Custom, i've run into some random issues with sRGB including flickering with the other profiles.
Brightness 90
Contrast 75 
Sharpness 60
Local Dimming Auto
VRR Control On (note though that there is a bug and this will need to be turned on every time the monitor comes out of standby or switched on. Samsung to address in a firmware update.)
VRR should be on the main OSD menu to say if it's On or Off, people turn it on once and don't realize its switched off automatically because they rebooted their computer and the Screen doesn't keep it on.

That's it no more flickering on the screen under any conditions, browsing web pages or in games.

My only theory is the VA Panel has different quality per screen and that whatever causes the scanlines is related to how Black Equalizer works creating interference on different panels so had to drop to 13 to get rid of scanlines.

The Samsung Default is set to 9 so defaulting settings in some cases will "fix" the problem but really all support needs to advise is to lower Black Equalizer to 14 or below to fix the issue.

0 Likes
James45
Journeyman
Options

hm i dont really have flickering issues only sometimes BUT. the horizontal lines across the monitor on solid colours is the annoying one. and cannot be fixed. by settings hmmm 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tax2qeCT7RwO9LN5C3txdBgXJBdV0xCw&authuser=no.liu72%40gmail.com&usp...

0 Likes
Jnormen
Journeyman
Options

When running that webtest page on my screen in 240hz I cannot get the colors to be the same and also get very vissible scan lines. When I put my monitor to 120 the colors are correct and no scan lines. So it's 240hz issue for sure.
https://www.testufo.com/inversion#pattern=uniformity&ppf=5
And with 240hz I couldn't get rid of the scanlines running that test as when it appears in normal windows. I tried Backligt, changed contrast, local dimming but nothing worked 😞 

0 Likes
Klumbe
Journeyman
Options

There are so many issues with this display, that cannot be solved by firmware easily:

1. Horizontal banding where one sees the dimming zones

2. Backlight-Bleeding

3. Bad viewing angles (people report it is even worse than on the last years model)

And then uncountable many "small" issues which might be fixed by firmware, but as they are present on the previous model as well, I doubt they ever will.

Like HDR, scanlines, flickering, ....

It is such a shame. I already contacted the support early and when I stated that I want to return it within my 14 days return period, they stopped answering my emails such that I am not in that period anymore.

I am really pissed right now. This display is no fun and apart from the blacks it is just a bunch of "issues".

It would be pretty hard to convince me to ever buy any Samsung display, TV, soundbar etc..

All of them have in common, that the support ends once a new product is being released and they don't care about what they promised. Maybe they should stick to memory which is the only part they really shine.

People, DO NOT BUY the NEO G9. You won't be happy with it and if you will need help from Samsung, you are lost.

0 Likes
Jnormen
Journeyman
Options

There is a nye SKU out for the same monitor: https://www.samsung.com/se/monitors/gaming/odyssey-neo-g9-g95na-49-inch-ls49ag952nuxen/

end with 952 instead of 950 I can't find any info what the difference and why. But I wonder if that version fix some issues that seams to be more hardware related? 

0 Likes
Klumbe
Journeyman
Options

It is not new.

Here in Germany, there were 954 and 952 from the beginning and I compared them.

I think the 952 is sort of OEM, as it simply does not contain a DP cable. That is why we can just order one of them, as the other is probably for companies / resellers.

Probably the same *****.

0 Likes