Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Samsung Support of Drivers on Linux Systems for the #GalaxyBook pro 360***

(Topic created on: 09-07-2022 05:46 PM)
Jefferson Marchetti
First Poster
Options

GalaxyBook pro 360 Linux Issues!!!! 

I need to use this computer with linux because I am a developer.

But I faced 3 rather annoying problems with Linux drivers:

- Internal speakers do not work
- Keyboard key lights not working
- Fingerprint does not work for faster login

When will Samsung provide drivers for professional customers as the DELL does?

Thank you    (*** be careful before buying if you are going to use with linux)

20 REPLIES 20
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I applaud you for trying to run Linux bare metal. Fingerprint scanners and Linux have rarely been a good combination but the keyboard may be addressable. Are you using Wayland or X11? If X11 try the command "xset led 3" and see if the backlight for keys comes on. Try 0 through 9 if it doesn't.

Do you get sound via headphones? Or does it just detect HDMI output?

There is an alternative if you just need to code in Linux for cross platform development purposes. The laptop is powerful enough to run a virtual instance via VirtualBox, VMWare or if you have Windows Pro installed Hyper-V. You could use WSL2 but it's clunky as hell so a proper VM or bare metal install is better still.
akisstsuki
Student
Options

im galaxybook flex 950qcg user , same issue on sound,  no speaker or headphones, noly works via usb external  audio card.  <ubuntu/ arch linux /manjaro > drive <alsa/oss> all not works

mkquist
First Poster
Options

I'm not sure how close these two are, but I purchased the non 360 Galaxy book pro and am running both linux mint 20.3 with kernel 5.13.0-40 and Fedora 35.  No fingerprint scanner and the keyboard light key doesn't work, but sound is fine.  The work around for now for the keyboard light is I put a small piece of tape over the sensor on the top edge of the screen and the keyboard stays lit while open.  Hope that might help.  

Tuor
First Poster
Options

I`m using Ubuntu 22.04 and the speakers and HDMI is not working, this is very annoying!

Do you guys also have problems with HDMI?

0 Likes
mikem78
Apprentice
Options

Having similar problems: No: HDMI, speakers, display brightness adjustment, backlit keyboard (thanks for the tape suggestion!), fingerprint scanner. Biggest problem for me is sound.

Weirdly enough, fubo.tv does not work, claiming external HDMI monitor when there is none attached. Clearly a sw "wiring" problem.

Tried 5.17 kernel that cites alder lake audio fix but it did not work. Disappointing. Hoping Ubuntu 22.10 will address. As frustrating as this sound thing is Windows 11 was really bad. Sub-optimal WSL and WSA. Behind the pretty interface is the same bloated blob of spaghetti. Yuk.

Should have done my homework and gotten the XPS+ with linux. Oh well [sigh]

0 Likes
Rezan
First Poster
Options

Same with galaxy book2 pro..

No internal speaker (headphones are OK), no keyboard backlit, no external monitor detection !!

I tried Fedora, Arch , Mint and Ubuntu..

0 Likes
mikem78
Apprentice
Options

Wondering if anybody has tried Clear Linux? Maybe better Alder Lake compatibility?

0 Likes
LinuxUser
Apprentice
Options

Having the same issues with my Galaxy Book2 Pro. My most annoying issue is sound. I managed to find a tool called icc-brightness that allows me to change the screen brightness.

I expected much better support for Linux from Samsung. I had no issues with the first generation of the Galaxy Book Pro, other than the fingerprint reader which I never assumed would work.

mikem78
Apprentice
Options

Great tip, thank you. Daemon not playing well with Ubuntu 22.04 but I am grateful to make icc-brightness adjustments using ‘apply’ and ‘watch’

0 Likes