Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 21-11-2019 07:43 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@JFarol wrote:

Interesting- i get Atmos playing through my soundbar on S2 Jack Ryan via Apple TV 4k

On my NVIDIA Shield only Lossy Atmos on season 1 and no Atmos for season 2. Must be a licensing thing.

0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@Blib wrote:
Yes you get atmos, but it’s compressed, lossy atmos. Which is the best you can get from a amazon prime anyway, but what we want is true lossless atmos from other sources

But is there any streaming app that supports true lossless Atmos?

At the moment I guess we can only enjoy true lossless Atmos/DTS:X via Kodi

0 Likes
pasab
Apprentice
Options

But is there any streaming app that supports true lossless Atmos?

At the moment I guess we can only enjoy true lossless Atmos/DTS:X via Kodi

where do you get these movies in kodi?

0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@pasab wrote:

where do you get these movies in kodi?

My own remux rips (mkv or iso files) but obviously loads of people torrent them from the web.

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options
No streaming services provide lossless Atmos, bitrate is too high and stream would require higher bandwidth
Even Apple TV+ (which for now has the highest bitrate in HDR) doesn't have lossless I think

So yes Only way now to enjoy lossless Atmos out of BluRay discs is with Kodi / Plex and only on Nvidia Shield if I'm not wrong, no other devices auhtorize lossless ATmos passthrough through 3rd party apps.
0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@SuissoNaBisso wrote:
No streaming services provide lossless Atmos, bitrate is too high and stream would require higher bandwidth
Even Apple TV+ (which for now has the highest bitrate in HDR) doesn't have lossless I think

So yes Only way now to enjoy lossless Atmos out of BluRay discs is with Kodi / Plex and only on Nvidia Shield if I'm not wrong, no other devices auhtorize lossless ATmos passthrough through 3rd party apps.

So this means that for now earc is useless until streaming services provide it. Also, doesn't all HDMI ports need to be 2.1 (48gb)....?

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Hi,

Correct mostly, but you do not need 2.1 to have eARC. EARC is a feature of 2.1 but not necessarily needed it can be implemented in older HDMI if the hardware allows it.
0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@zhspence wrote:
Hi,

Correct mostly, but you do not need 2.1 to have eARC. EARC is a feature of 2.1 but not necessarily needed it can be implemented in older HDMI if the hardware allows it.

Ok, but you do need 2.1 to stream true lossless Dolby True HD (Atmos)/DTS HD-MA (DTS:X) right? 

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
No you don’t need 2.1 for that either as long as the tv and soundbar are eARC you will get lossless dts:x and atmos.
0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@zhspence wrote:
No you don’t need 2.1 for that either as long as the tv and soundbar are eARC you will get lossless dts:x and atmos.

Okay, that is great, I read somewhere that 18gbs was not enough bandwith for lossless but might have read that wrong lol. 

So the 2 problems at the moment is that no streaming app is supporting this and Samsung needs to update the firmware haha

0 Likes