Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-S60T volume too low and inconsistent

(Topic created on: 03-11-2020 11:52 AM)
TripleEss
Apprentice
Options

I'vejust bought a hw-s60t soundbar along with a Q60T tv and connected Sky Q via ARC to both (Sky Q to TV, TV to Soundbar with HDMI, correct inputs used), however the volume from the soundbar is very low and is inconsistent. Sometimes having the soundbar volume at 18 - 22 volume the sound is an audible level, however sometimes I have to raise to 40 - 50 and even max it out at 100 to hear. Apart from this being annoying in that I have to constantly change volume, if Alexa comes through the soundbar, it is at the level the soundbar is set and is much louder than what is coming through from the TV or SKY Q.
This is an issue whether using SKy Q or Amazon Prime from the TV so isn't just a SKY Q issue.I've tried all the setting on the soundbar, tv and SkyQ to try to get to the root of the problem but nothing makes much difference to the level of sound being output. I've also put new HDMI cables to all connections, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

34 REPLIES 34
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi , what's it like with a Bluetooth connection 

0 Likes
TripleEss
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the response.

I connected via bluetooth after turning on the system for the first time yesterday, so I didn't know what the sould level was going to be at, and the volume was in line with expectation (optimal between 18 & 25). As this was the case I connected via HDMI ARC again and the volume level mirrored what it was like on the bluetooth connection, so it was fine. This has been maintained this morning, so just trying the different connection method could have fixed it, but I'll just have to see if it fluctuates in the coming days to understand if it has been fixed.

Thanks

0 Likes
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hope it's sorted , can I ask what you think of this bar , is speech clear ? What's the bass like , does it have a built in sub ? Are there treble and bass adjustments in app??? Thanks 

0 Likes
TripleEss
Apprentice
Options

So, quick update on this - after connecting via wifi (not bluetooth as suggested) the speaker volume level seemed to be normal for a couple of days, however just now I was watching TV, the soundbar made a sound (the one where it changes connection method or Alexa is waiting for input) and I noticed it had 2 white LED's showing when this happened and the soundbar volume level dropped again - I had to put it to 100 to hear it again. I messed around connecting it via Wifi (which I think the 2 white LED's denote), HDMI and bluetooth, but it just sounded like the sound is being muffled. I couldn't get it to go back to normal (where 28 - 32 volume evel was pretty loud), until I turned it off, when it has returned to normal somewhat, but is still a bit quieter than the last day or so... this seemed like a random drop in noise level that none of the setting available to me in the app, tv menu or sky menu seem to affect.

Any ideas?

(Edgie70
To answer your question, when it works I quite like the soundbar, speech is pretty clear, although I don't think it's as clear as advertised. I believe it has a sub-woofer and there is bass and treble control in the app - I'm not an audiophile by any means, so take the above with a pinch of salt).

0 Likes
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Thanks , just a thought , is there an auto volume setting you could possibly turn off ?? After that I'd reset it 

0 Likes
TripleEss
Apprentice
Options

There's no auto volume although there is an adaptive sound mode (which is supposed to ensure that all sound from all channels and sources are played at the same level - it seems inconsistent, but could be a learning mechanic), however I've tried it on all different sound modes and settings and there is no difference to the volume when it's sounding muffled when switching through these modes.

It was fine after turning it off and on again last night, but this morning it was a bit low with the volume having to be at 50-ish to be reasonable - after a couple of reboots, it's a bit better but still needs to be at 35-ish for it to be comfortable to hear.

I've added a wireless subwoofer to the set up now that connects to the soundbar (SWA-W500), but that seems to suffer along with the soundbar.

As an aside, to answer one of your earlier questions about tbe bass on the soundbar by itself, I didn't miss it before connecting the subwoofer, but it realy makes a difference with it. Also, I should say I said that it came with a subwoofer earlier, but it didn't and has to be bought seperately.

0 Likes
Bluefusion
Explorer
Options

@ we have exactly the same problem!

We've just purchased this bar and now have the same issue. Was working fine day 1 all volumes nice and clear at about 22, for TV volumes and Alexa, however, today the TV volume cannot be heard at 22 and we have to turn it up to 45+, the issue is that is you ask Alexa anything at 45+ she is way too loud. almost shouting. We're connected via a HDMI Arc cable.

I've had to disconnect the sound bar and reconnect and its reverted back to normal volume at around 22. but if this continues I'm going to have to return the sound bar as if both of us are having the same issue this is clearly either faulty hardware/software or both.

Other issue is I cannot get through LIVE chat to discuss this issue as it states their busy and I cannot register the device on Samsung website as it recognizes my Serial Number but in the list of sound bars available the HW-6S1T/XU is not in the list to choose from, so cannot register.

0 Likes
Bluefusion
Explorer
Options

Update: I spoke to Live chat they kindly registered the soundbar for me and advised me to reset the soundbar back to factory setting which you do on this model by turning the soundbar on and holding the volume + and - buttons down on the soundbar for 5-seconds. I then had to reconnect the soundbar to the TV again and setup Alexa via the SmartThings App again..

Working for now, but we will see if that solves the problem long term.

TripleEss
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for updating this. I'll try the factory settings angle and see if that works. I've been using it connected from the TV to the soundbar via Optical cable, which seemed to settle it down, but then I had a loss of volume again. I've found removing the power cable and turning it back on afte 30 seconds restores the sound level, but that's not ideal.

0 Likes