Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q80R making popping and cracking sounds/ PS4 screen flicker via HDMI

(Topic created on: 12-12-2020 03:53 PM)
Ellis04
Student
Options

I recently bought an HW-Q80R soundbar, but it was always making some annoying cracking sounds.
It seems like randomly, irregularity happens to all contents. I can always notice suddenly popping while watching Netflix or playing games. I also tried to change the formats, disable HDR, but still can hear these popping.
And after some testing, it usually happens before playing Atmos contents, while the soundbar displays Dolby atmos text on that small screen, then the soundbar making a huge popping.
I search up the Samsung community, found some people have the same issues as me. I followed their tips, reset 5G wifi or disable wifi and changed HDMI cables all useless. Even I moved my soundbar and subwoofer.
Sometimes popping happens from the center speaker, and sometimes it is the right speaker; it is irregularity and annoying.

Here are some details:
Firmware version:1010.5
Shield TV 2019 connects via HDMI1.
Xbox One X connect via HDMI2.
LG 27UL650 connects via HDMI out as a monitor.
HDMI cables: Premium certified High Speed 2.0 cables
And I also try to change my power strip to anti-surge with filter function tomorrow.
I think it perhaps the firmware's problem or from the soundbar itself. Everything works fine with my other Sony soundbar in the bedroom.

Update: I tried using Playstation 4 Pro connected via HDMI1 with Premium HDMI cable, but sometimes makes the monitor screen flicker. (while the issue happening was not continue so long, but often happened when I start the PlayStation or after a reboot cycle.)
Everything works fine by directly connect to the monitor.

3 REPLIES 3
SMathew
Student
Options

I face the same issue. Screen flutters at times and now this loud cracking noise. 

0 Likes
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

Do you still have popping/cracking sounds on your HW-Q80R? I have a random pop/tick when watching Atmos movies on nvidia shield (plex). This is on firmware 1012.6. DTS-X seems unaffected so far and sounds clean.

0 Likes
CaptainCruesly
Explorer
Options

Popping/cracking noises while playing Atmos contents here also with HW-Q70R on 1012.6

@AndrewL @DannyT @CarlH @ChrisM