Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

HW-Q80/70R + Atmos/TrueHD random audio pop

(Topic created on: 24-04-2021 10:27 AM)
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

Issue: While playing TrueHD (Atmos) content on Shield Pro 2019 via Plex/Kodi, single audio pops can be heard. This can happen 10 minutes apart or longer and they seem completely random. Rewinding and going over the same portion of the video again does not replicate the issue. It's one "pop" or "tick" in the high/mid range. Sometimes louder than other times, but not deafening. It can be subtle.

TV: UE55MU7000, firmware 1280.6 and also on recently updated to 1290.3 (released december 16th, 2020)

Soundbar: HW-Q80R, firmware 1012.6

Shield is connected directly to soundbar, soundbar is connected via HDMI Arc to one connect box of TV. 

Tried so far:

• Fully reset Shield, soundbar and TV plus smart hub for what its worth
  • New Monoprice HDMI cables for all connected devices
  • Powered all devices off overnight and let them drain
  • Any and all possible audio settings and combination thereof on the Shield
  • Framerate matching on/off in Plex/Kodi
  • Stripped MKV's of everything except for video and TrueHD track
  • Played videos from USB on Shield instead of over network;
  • Completely turned off router/wifi

Unaffected and sounds fine:

• DTS-X, no issues at all!
  • Atmos over Dolby Digital+ on Netflix sounds fine
  • Spotify
  • Youtube etc. and many others I'm sure

Which leads me to believe that the hardware side of things is fine, only TrueHD seems to be affected by some sort of bug. 

At this point I am not sure whether this is a Shield issue or soundbar issue, or a specific combination. Cables have been ruled out. It doesn't sound like interference to me. It feels like some sync issue where some audio frames are messed up at random for some reason. It is unfortunate that we cannot downgrade soundbar firmware. 

Is this a known issue? Is there anything else I can try? This needs to be looked into by Samsung as well 🤔

Audio recordings of the pops/ticks while watching TrueHD Atmos via the Shield Pro 2019. Each clip is 6 seconds with the pop/tick happening at the 3 seconds mark:

Recorded with phone laying on the soundbar. Still happening at random, I'd say a minimum of 3 pops/ticks per hour.

21 REPLIES 21
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

Hi @CaptainCruesly I'm glad you found a solution. For what it's worth:

My HW-Q80R just got a new motherboard and the issue is still there: intermittent pop/click when playing TrueHD Atmos content via Nvidia Shield and perhaps from other DD+ Atmos sources as well on Shield as well. Even experienced it in DTS-X very rarely.

Nvidia tested it on various soundbars with the MKV file that I sent them, no issues. Shield is fine, already replaced with a new Shield as well.

This is a firmware issue with samsung, hardware is absolutely (never say never, but still) not the issue here.

I can play hours of music via Plex on high volume without issue, power supply is fine. Interference is not the issue, the Nintendo Switch directly connected to the soundbar is fine. Already switched ports and cables as mentioned between Shield and Switch.

New motherboard in the soundbar came with the 1010.5 firmware, which is when eARC was introduced. I suspect the issue started there, judging from other threads on the web as well. Can't downgrade, or I would have tested the original firmware. Requested at supplier to have the motherboard flashed with original firmware while they're at it, but didn't really get a reply on that request so they might not have been able to. Unsure if it was shipped to a samsung service center, or if my supplier was sent a motherboard which they installed themselves.

All clues are there and a ton of things have already been ruled out, there's nothing else to try as far as I can see. I understand that this might be a very specific issue to troubleshoot (on the other hand, we've done 99% of their troubleshooting) but this is definitely a guaranteed way to lose me as a customer if this goes unresolved 👍

HW-Q80R

UE55MU7000

0 Likes
Solution
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

I have replaced the HW-Q80R with an LG DSN10YG soundbar and my issues are completely gone. No more random click/pop in TrueHD Atmos content via Nvidia Shield (Plex). Also when forwarding/rewinding said content and resuming, there are no more crackles/pops/clicks for that split second when the content syncs up again. I already suspected that was a symptom of something deeper.

Samsung has been an absolute disappointment in trying to nail this issue down whereas we have tried absolutely everything short of replacing the soundbar itself, until now. And what do you know.

I have even sent my exact same MKV's to Nvidia for testing on their Shield on several soundbars, which resulted in zero issues for them. It really tells you all you need to know.

The elephant in the room is called samsung.

0 Likes