Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q600A audio dropouts - most obvious with Atmos content- connected to QN94A

(Topic created on: 30-10-2021 11:41 PM)
pdiddy95
Student
Options

2 weeks ago I purchased a QN94A TV – connected to an old Samsung 2.1 channel soundbar (HW-E450) – no issues. Shortly after, I changed the soundbar to a HW-Q600A to avail of Q-symphony on the TV, along with Dolby Atmos. Setup was certified High speed HDMI with ethernet cables connected to soundbar via TV HDMI 3 (eARC). Note: Soundbar does not support eARC, but does support ARC. I then started to notice blips, audio drop out, when playing Dolby Atmos content via the native TV Netflix app through the soundbar – this disconnect/reconnect was obvious, as the ‘Dolby Atmos’ logo scolled across on the soundbar. Frequency was random, but typically anywhere between 3 and 40mins. I suspect these dropout were on other not Atmos content, but it wasn’t as noticeable due to the lack of the dolby logo.

I tried some basic troubleshooting – replaced HDMI cable with 3 others, disabled eARC on TV, factory reset of both TV and soundbar, and Firmware check – soundbar running 1001.1/0071, TV running 1506.0 – issue remained. I changed the cable from high speed with ethernet to high speed, and I thought issue improved, but returned 3 days later, and is back to previous frequency – I believe this is just coincidence now and the issue is not cable related, as I didn’t touch the cables before the audio drops returned.

I reported the issue to Samsung, through their online chat, and after a number of days of carrying out basic troubleshooting, yesterday they came back and told me the following:

“We are aware of the Sound dropout on certain Soundbar model including your Soundbar. We are still investigating this and we are awaiting from Headquarters for their feedback or resolution. Most likely your Soundbar will have a software update to fix this however we can confirm this once we have a feedback/resolution from Samsung Headquarters.”

I pointed out there was a previous similar issue reported here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01211322/

From this, it appeared that the US site firmware update from 1000.9 -> 1001.1 would resolve the audio drop out issue, but obviously if this was applicable to my soundbar model, it didn’t fix it – is it normal for US and UK updates to be different, even with identical naming??

Finally I asked the rep to confirm and this was the response:

“Samsung is aware on the audio dropout of the certain models including your Soundbar HW-Q600A”

I am partly glad this was the response, but partly worried that there will be an update and the issue will remain – or there is something wrong on the TV side…. Has anyone else experienced audio dropouts or other audio issues with this soundbar and/or TV?

24 REPLIES 24
NickSpeech
Apprentice
Options

Hey pdiddy95

i have the exact same issue! Just purchased a 65” Frame and the Q600A sound bar. All is normal at first but after roughly 30 minutes the sound starts to get crackly when watching tv. This crackling is also evident while browsing the menu. Soon after it goes quiet and no sound works. If i change to TV audio it works fine.

furthermore when the audio stops it only stops to HD channels, all non HD channels work fine…

Crazyozguy
First Poster
Options

Hey Guys Yeah I also have issues with my Q600A. The sound is about 1 second behind the lips, if I turn sound bar off then back on it corrects this problem, but seems to be there the next day. If i wanted like the voice has been dubbed I wouldve bought low quality, cheap TV and Aldi sound bar. Then I would expect these kind of problems..... Very Disappointed  SAMSUNG was a Quality Brand. Now I may aswell  buy an Iphone 

0 Likes
pdiddy95
Student
Options

To anybody who is having similar audio drop issues, here is an update to my problem. Might help you decide what to do.

I returned the Q600A soundbar and got a replacement Q600A. Set it up, and exact same issue. I then completely segmented all the components - another room, a different TV, different cables, different input source (blue-ray disc to rule out possible router issue) and still had the same problem.  Audio drops on 5.1 and atmos content- probably on 2.1 stereo also, but I couldn't say with certainty.

Seems like the soundbar processer is unable to handle the input and has a rendom glitch/reset resulting in the disconnect/reconnect I was hearing. No idea if a firmware update would even fix this, not without degrading something in the output.

I returned the 2nd Q600A and paid extra for a Q700A - no issues at all - not 1 single issue over a week - looks like Q600A has inferior components - do not be tempted by the reductions samsung are offering on this soundbar - ridiculous that Samsung quality control could let this happen - especially with a €600 + price tag - Its like they never tested it.

If you really want to match your new Samsung TV with a Samsung soundbar, pay the extra €€ and get the Q700A.

0 Likes
LexK
First Poster
Options

Got the exact same issue with the HDMI Arc issue. Q600A connected to a Samsung 4K TV (albeit a 2017 model). Ran the firmware update Samsung recommended (1001.1) - both files. This did not fix the issue and there is no sound. TV does not even detect the soundbar, although soundbar shows 'TV Speaker'. Fiddled with all the settings and even reset TV sound settings. Still nothing.

Only thing that works for me is the optical cable. There's no 'lip sync' delay with optical either, so long as you reset your TV sound settings.

Frustrating really...spent over £500 on this unit and would much prefer HDMI Arc connection as it offers better controls and Dolby Atmos.

I have a feeling, this isn't just a software issue and more a hardware problem. Samsung should really do a product recall or offer customers a different model.

Soundbar does sound good, so such a shame!

0 Likes
Phil8355
Apprentice
Options
I have bought the q600a and a qn94a 55 TV and when I connect the soundbar via earc on TV and arc on soundbar the TV just won't play anything. It just keeps saying no input and crashes TV. Phoned Samsung helpline and went through numerous settings but to no avail. Eventually they just told me its not working as it should and they are aware of issues with this soundbar. I was then told take it back to the retailer. So we'll have to see. Yet it works via Bluetooth just not hdmi. Puzzling.
0 Likes
NickSpeech
Apprentice
Options

So had a resolution to my Q600A sound issue.

The issue - After 30 minutes of use with Dolby digital on, sound will go crackly and then stop. Works with non HD / non dolby digital channels. Samsung were not helpful on this.

I took the Soundbar back to my retailer and upgraded to the Q700A. Since i've had no problems at all and the retailer put the Q600A as a demo model on the floor and said they also experienced crackling issues and deemed it faulty. Given one of the earlier posts above said they went through multiple Q600A thats why i opted for the Q700A instead of a replacement Q600A. No problems now. 

0 Likes
Say_Good_Pls
First Poster
Options

Hi pdiddy95,

I had similar issue before, I am plugging the soundbar to Samsung TV Series 7 55" RU7100 via the supplied HDMI Arc cable. When watching Netflix the dolby atmos sound keeps dropping on and off.

I contacted Samsung Australia and they helped me via remote connection and the solution is that they updated most of the firmware in the TV including updating my HDMI port to version 2.0.

After that, it solves my problem and the Dolby Atmos is working fine and amazing.

Pedunin
First Poster
Options

I’m having this exact same issue. And the worst is that the Brazilian support can’t even find the model on the system (even though it is sold here), so they can’t help me. I tried updating the firmware, but the issue persists. If anyone has any luck on solving this would be much appreciated 

0 Likes
LexK
First Poster
Options

Yes, Samsung support is useless! Personally I'm not convinced this is a firmware issue. It's more than likely a hardware fault hence to why Samsung have stopped selling this product. The only thing that works for and keeps sound in sync with TV is the digital in (optical cable). Reset your TV's sound settings for resolving any sync issues. Also, this option doesn't allow the use of full features, but works fine and unit sounds good. Hope this helps.

0 Likes