Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 07-12-2016 01:35 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Eas_3
Student
Options

Thanks, will try this when I’m in this evening and let you know how it goes 

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

@Robbienobs wrote:

Hi

I have had the issue of only one R1 speaker before and cured this with a total reset of the modem and then resetting and reconnecting all the speakers fresh. 

5ghz works best for me and found that making sure all the units are of the same makes a difference to stability.

2ghz works but others have reported similar issues that appear to be resolved with a mixture of resets and changing of WiFi channels

See this thread; may help with people reporting slightly different solutions for them:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/No-Surround-sound/td-p/156686

Personally I would unplug everything including the router, turn router only on and once online then turn soundbar and rears on. 

If this doesn't work I would go for a full reset of everything including router (especially as you only have one speaker showing); as before I found that the modem reset fixed the issue for me. 

They do work better on 5Ghz but I found having to change WIFI to a non DFS channel caused issues with other devices & signal strength around the home.

Put them back on 2.4ghz and tbh not turned back.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
Bozmoz
First Poster
Options
Hi all,

Like many, I have been tearing my hair out trying to get the 5.1 surround to work with a Samsung sound bar and the MultiRoom speakers. Today I managed to get everything working AND solve the “quiet” rear speaker problem. I thought it would share my solution and setup here so that it could help others in the future.

My setup:

Samsung K650 sound bar
Samsung R1 (WAM1500) x2
Sony Bravia XF85 TV
Xbox One S

Connections:
Sound bar connects to the TV via HDMI-ARC

Samsung R1 x2 are connected wirelessly to the sound bar via WiFi.

All 3 Samsung devices connect to my 5Ghz WiFi network, once in the surround setup, the sound bar broadcasts its own WiFi network and the R1 speakers connect to it. 

(Note on this WiFi network

The WiFi network that the soundbar broadcasts is labelled 'DIRECT-oWSamsung Wireless Audio' and is a 5GHz network, with a 40mhz channel bond on channel 48. It is 802.11a/n capable, 2x2:2. This channel bonding actually interferes with my existing 5GHz WiFi network which broadcasts on the same channel but with no bonding. It takes up both channel 44 & channel 48. To remediate this interference I have changed by WiFi AP to broadcast on channel 36.

My rear right R1 is the furthest speaker away from the soundbar which is 3.5m away from the centre of the soundbar. I measured WiFi signal strength using my Macbook and the WiFi Explorer application. I get a recieved signal strength of -56dbm and a 40dB SNR at this speaker. This equates to a very strong signal being recieved by this speaker so I expect no connectivity issues over wireless here)

The Xbox One S is the audio source, this connects to the TV via HDMI and is set to bitstream out.

What happens by default:

By default this setup and connectivity works, however the Samsung R1 speakers are extremely quiet and overpowered by the soundbar making them useless and detrimental to the listening experience.

Troubleshooting steps (all had no impact apart from the solution below):

Switched out the TV for an LG one.

Swapped from HDMI ARC to Optical.

Swapped the Optical from being plugged into the TV to the Xbox and vice versa.

Swapped out the WiFi access point from a 2x2:2 802.11ac capable one to a 4x4:4 802.11ac wave 2 capable one.

Reduced the soundbar volume to minimum, increased the rear left and rear right volume to maximum in the surround sound setup panel on the multiroom iOS app.

Solution:

This solution is likely unique to my setup but it’s likely that the settings I changed are available on other manufacturers equipment. 

Yes this solution relies on non-Samsung equipment to fix the Samsung-created problem.

Xbox One S/Audio source settings:

Audio output set to 5.1 uncompressed. 

Sony Bravia TV/HDMI ARC receiver settings:

Reduced the Digital Audio Out volume setting from 100 to 50

Samsung K650 soundbar setting:

Increased the volume to 45.

Samsung Multiroom app setting:

Surround sound 'volumes' soundbar set to minimum, 2x R1 set to maximum.

Conclusion:

What these settings did are change the audio source to send out a raw 5.1 signal instead of a bitstream signal (1s and 0s) This signal is then processed by the TV and sent down to the soundbar. 

As the signal is processed by the TV it’s volume is changed and drastically reduced. The surround sound setup volume has to be pumped up to compensate, doing so drastically increases the volume of the rear R1 speakers. 

Doing this makes the rear R1 speakers audible whilst keeping the soundbar volume down.

At the moment (17/01/2019) Samsung has not yet provided a way to correctly adjust the volume/EQ of the 2 rear speakers so that they are in-line with the soundbar. The last software update my Samsung equipment had was released in Q2 2018. So I don’t believe resolving these problems are high on the priority list for Samsung and it is down to us to find solutions.

Keeping the Digital Out Volume at 100 and keeping the soundbar/surround setup at a reasonable “10-15” on volume makes it so that the 2 rear R1 speakers are too quiet to be worth using. I came extremely close to getting rid of them.

In order to correctly use my Samsung equipment, I have had to fix them by having the audio signal from the Xbox One S, processed by the Sony TV.

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options

I have been using a HW-K650 with 2 R6's for surround sound connected to my Samsung SmartTV over Wi-Fi for almost a year with no problems until recently when the TV will not connect to the soundbar  reliably when the it is grouped with the R6's. Works fine just with the soundbar and subwoofer, no R6's, over wifi.  I have reset everything and reconfigured it all but no luck. I have noticed that a network named DIRECT-CG[TV] Tizen appears in the list of available networks on my mac. Is that normal?

The software versions on the devices are: 3117.1/134R on the R6's and 3117.3/0348.0R. The TV EU49 8 Series has software 1321.
Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I suspect it might be a network problem but Netflix streams fine over  the Wi-Fi connection to the TV.  I don't think there has been a recent update for these devices?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
DreamTallStart
Journeyman
Options

Hi Nick0

Like you I'm also experiencing difficulties getting my HW650 soundbar to connect to my R1 surround speakers.

Like everyone else I had loads of issues trying to connect the devices together using the multi room app. However over the last year the system has worked very well and remained connected as a surround group. Even the volume on the rear R1s was almost acceptable. 

However over the last 2 weeks the system has refused to connect as a surround group to my TV. I can group them in surround mode via the app and it plays great with great volume over the app.... 

However when I then try to find the surround group on  my Samsung TV the group does not appear as K650 plus 2CH they ether appear as seperate units  or they do not appear on my list. According to my multiroom app they are still connected as a group. I can connect to individual devices either an R1 speaker or the soundbar but not the group.

My Samsung TV is connected to my soundbar via the optical cable. I then usually simply select the group from my sound options.

Anyone got any ideas what has happened? Has there been an update to cause this? Thanks in advance for any help. 

0 Likes
Bozmoz
First Poster
Options

My solution was to replace the Samsung kit with a Sony HT-Z9F and it’s two rear speakers. Works a hell of a lot better and includes volume controls for the rears! /sub and front sound bar.

it also receives regular firmware updates from Sony. Very happy with it when compared to the Samsung stuff which just flat out didn’t work as advertised.

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

Get a 5g router. Someone posted the TV puts out 2.4. If your router is also 2.4 it causes cross talk glitches. I'm using 5ghz router and have no issues. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Make sure they are all on 5ghz.

I get the same issues if mine are all on 2.4ghz or mixed across the two.

Also try a reboot of the router. 

What router/modem are you using? 

I have bt home hub and have to have it on mode 2 for it to work with no issues

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I seemed to have resolved my problem by assigning fixed IP addresses to all my devices.  I will consider buying a  5 Ghz router though.
0 Likes