Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 19-06-2020 09:38 AM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
Supernovauranus
First Poster
Options

104102814_832865093906240_5916354134999626145_n.jpg

So i just bought the q90r soundbar and i been trying all day to get earc to work . I got a lgcx oled tv. Earc is onn the tv but the soundbar doesnt do anything it just stays at tv arc.  I updated the soundbar with the app is this the right update to get EARC? If so please help i dont know why earc is not showing up in the soundbar.

0 Likes
Supernovauranus
First Poster
Options

yoooo how did you get earc to work on the lgcx tv i have the same tv and i got the q90r soundbar. For the life of me i cant get this to work. is this the right update?  

104102814_832865093906240_5916354134999626145_n.jpg

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
You will know when you have atmos as it will say on the soundbar. Got my xbox directly on soundbar and when I turn it on says scrolling across dolby atmos. There maybe settings in your TV you got to turn on. On samsung it hdmi plus you need to turn on. LG will be different
0 Likes
CB-33
Explorer
Options
Looks like there's a few of us & who knows many more ? who have done this update & having problems, not getting the new / latest features, ie: Dolby Atmos, eArc, come on Samsung or someone, help us resolve these issues.
0 Likes
Denis27310
First Poster
Options

the HDMI cable supplied with the Q90 soundbar is 2.0, you need an HDMI 2.1 cable for eARC.

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

That's not true. Most high quality HDMI 2.0 cables support eARC.

0 Likes
Denis27310
First Poster
Options

EARC

Support for new format of reverse audio channel via HDMI. Previously, the ARC format allowed it to retransmit on HDMI sound without compression in stereo format or on sound in 5.1 format but compressed. EARC allows you to send uncompressed 5.1 or compressed 7.1 audio and also supports Dolby Atmos audio as well as DTSx audio.

Comparison table Additional functions of the HDMI ports

HDMI version
1.0 1.1 1.2–1.2a 1.3–1.3a 1.4–1.4b 2.0–2.0b 2.1
Full HD Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD video Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
DVD-Audio No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Super Audio CD (DSD) No No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Auto lip-sync No No No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream capable No No No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Updated list of CEC commands No No No Yes Yes Yes Yes
3D video No No No No Yes Yes Yes
Ethernet channel (100 Mbit/s) No No No No Yes Yes Yes
Audio return channel (ARC) No No No No Yes Yes Yes
4 audio streams No No No No No Yes Yes
2 video streams (Dual View) No No No No No Yes Yes
Perceptual Quantizer (PQ) HDR OETF (SMPTE ST 2084) No No No No No Yes Yes
Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) HDR OETF No No No No No Yes Yes
Static HDR metadata (SMPTE ST 2086) No No No No No Yes Yes
Dynamic HDR metadata (SMPTE ST 2094) No No No No No No Yes
Enhanced audio return channel (eARC) No No No No No No Yes
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) No No No No No No Yes
Quick Media Switching (QMS) No No No No No No Yes
Quick Frame Transport (QFT) No No No No No No Yes
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) No No No No No No Yes
Display Stream Compression (DSC) No No No No No No Yes
  1.0 1.1 1.2–1.2a 1.3–1.3a 1.4–1.4b 2.0–2.0b 2.1
HDMI version

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

You're still wrong. HDMI is just a standard with particular functions, such as eARC. These days there are a lot of HDMI 2.0 cables with support for eARC but not for other functions such as VRR.

For example, a very popular and high quality MagicLink HDMI 2.0 cable supports eARC - https://magiclink.pl/

As you can see, this HDMI 2.0 cable support some of the HDMI 2.1 functions such as eARC, VRR and ALLM.

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
There is no such thing as an hdmi 2.1 cable. HDMI is hardware within the tv and all you need is any high speed HDMI cable as all the hdmi sockets and cables are practically the same. As long as it's high speed supports hdmi 2.1
0 Likes
Supernovauranus
First Poster
Options

Ok guys so i figured it out FINALLY!!!! I got Earc to work. So the problem was that i had the wrong hdmi cable you need a high speed hdmi cable that has Ethernet*. AS you can see in the box it says ethernet. I got this hdmi cable at walmart for $44. There was a 4k one with ethernet too but i said what the heck i might get a 8k tv in the future. but yeah guys this fix my problem instantly. I can finally play my games with Vrr and HDR at 120fps . Dolby atmos sound so good in Modern Warfare.

105392043_1238967683156926_5896815379958856924_n.jpg

0 Likes