Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware fake eBay chargers.

(Topic created on: 08-07-2022 10:50 PM)
dr_bob
Apprentice
Options

A few weeks ago I missed a sale for the EP-TA845XBEGGB 45W charger, annoyed at not getting the discount I decided to take a chance on ordering one from eBay. There are multiple listings for this charger at prices of £15-25.

The charger I received looks very convincing and could easily trick someone into thinking they've scored a bargain genuine item. However it is a counterfeit.

IMG_7374 - Copy.jpg

The easiest way to tell is the weight of the charger, according to the specifications on samsung.com, it should weigh 120.42g, the fake I received weighs 92 grams.

IMG_7366 - Copy.JPG

Other ways to tell:

• The exterior packaging of the fake I received is printed on a textured cardboard. As far as I know all genuine Samsung chargers use smooth, semi-glossy cardboard.
  • The fake has the barcodes printed directly onto the box. Genuine chargers have the barcode and serial number on a separate label, stuck to the packaging.
  • There are some cosmetic differences on the charger itself:
    • The overall fit and finish isn't quite as good as a genuine charger.
    • A seam on the side is noticable and little sharp if you run your finger over it.
    • The insulated plastic part of the plug pins isn't perfectly flush and aligned with the metal part.
    • There are two visible black plastic pins poking throught the case of the charger which aren't there on a genuine unit.

IMG_7392 - Copy.jpeg

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. I expect many of the marketplace vendors on Amazon are also selling these fakes. Be careful out there, I'd recommend only buying direct from Samsung or a major retailer.  Remember that a fake charger means fake safety certifications, don't risk your life or the lives of your loved ones. Saving a few pounds isn't worth a house fire.

4 REPLIES 4
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yeah it definitely looks like a fake and I'd be reporting this to ebay.
Unfortunately I have seen stuff like this sold not only on ebay. Lots of sites sadly and even Amazon get caught out regularly by more unscrupulous sellers.
Really for the prices of things like this, you won't be saving much more and you have no idea who the sellers are sometimes and obviously no warranty.
I'd personally stick to Samsung recommended retailers and get peace of mind that the charger I buy won't catch alight or worse, give an electric shock
0 Likes
pilot8
First Poster
Options
Thanks for the tips.
0 Likes
stevezx7
Journeyman
Options
Yep just ordered a "Genuine Samsung Charger" from eBay pictures show a genuine charger on eBay with the Samsung logo on the charger, received it today 12/01/23 eBay UK still allowing fake items to be sold, can't contact eBay directly they are not interested. Fake on the right, also arrived damaged so that will be going back for sure!!2024-1-12 16-11-27_1000073229_1705075898.jpg1705081869423.jpg
0 Likes
Chris1Pol
Student
Options

The same story, just bought Samsung 65W PD Power Adapter Trio Charger on eBay which has been described as genuine Samsung product, and unfortunately doesn't seems to be an original Samsung product and even not looking like the genuine Samsung 65W Trio Universal Power Adapter.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 190645.png

At first the charger doesn't deliver mentioned 65W, I unfortunately there is a problem with charging my Samsung laptop which requeued min 65W, this one isn't even close too. When plugging my S23 to charge is starting to warm out very quickly and I`m afraid that could damage my phone.
When scanned the barcode on packaging straight away took me to the 25W single port charger. The QR code on charger doesn't work at all.

thumbnail1.jpg

The S/N from packaging doesn't match S/N on the charger at all.

thumbnai2.jpg

Be aware on eBay the scammers are everywhere. 

0 Likes