Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake eBay chargers

(Topic created on: 12-01-2024 06:19 PM)
stevezx7
Journeyman
Options
Have always used Samsung mobiles for many years now, had a problem with my charger, had a look on eBay UK went though over 20 sellers that you could see are selling fake chargers, have been with eBay 21yrs so I like to think I can spot a fake?

I found a seller that was advising a "Genuine Samsung Charger" the picture on the selling page showed a genuine Samsung charger with Samsung stamped on the charger, feedback also said "Genuine items from Samsung impressive" unfortunately not, item was fake no Samsung logo on the charger.

Even the best can get caught out, my advice that I will follow myself from now on only buy accessories from approved Samsung sites or stores, don't use eBay am not even going to plug this charger in just incase it might catch fire! Also called Samsung unfortunately they where not bothered & just told me to send it back, I really think Samsung should take a harder stand with these fake sellers!

8 REPLIES 8
Obsydian
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Amazon is as bad, last 10 years I order direct from Samsung.
Regards Obsydian - (Car & Tech Evangelist)

MY DEVICES: ZFold4, Watch6 Classic, Book2 Pro i5 5G [Laptop], Buds Pro2, M70A 32 & 43”; [Monitor], Smart Tags, Dell Inspiron G5 [Laptop] / FAMILY DEVICES: ZFlip3, ZFlip4, ZFlip5, Watch6 Classic, S8 Ultra; S7+ [Tablet],  Buds Pro, iPhone 12, iPad Air 2, Air tags, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro 12.9 GEN2 [Tablets] / HOME DEVICES: QN95A [TV], Q900A / SWA900S [Soundbar, Rears], MC28M6075 and MC32K7055 [Microwave], Jet 75 Complete (Vacuum), Samsung Level [Speaker]
stevezx7
Journeyman
Options
I can believe it first time I have had to buy a replacement for this phone, have learnt my lesson👍
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's one side effect of not getting the charging plug in the box anymore.
Fake stuff on eBay and Amazon is rediclously prolific now.
Some of it even in hand looks genuine.
Some I've seen people post online look like definite fire risks or electrical hazards

It may cost a few pounds more getting the genuine ones. But with stuff like this I won't compromise on.
Piper123
Maestro
Options
Years ago I was happy to buy 99p chargers from eBay. Generally they "seemed" ok until I had one partially melt. Thankfully I was sat next to it.

I totally agree with you, with so much visit counterfeit stuff out there these days and OEMs seeming powerless to do anything, maybe it is time to return to including chargers with devices.

I get the bit about reducing e-waste but surely dangerous fakes are even worse?

Completely agree @Glenntech, pay a little more, stay safe 👌
stevezx7
Journeyman
Options
Agree I was trying to replace an original Samsung charger that I had, unfortunately unscrupulous sellers will always be around you can only go off the information you have, but lessons learnt official Samsung distributors for me only now!
0 Likes
stevezx7
Journeyman
Options
I did that once with eBay many years ago on my very old S7 until the charger went bang very loudly, part of it traveled over ten feet across the room, it also tripped all the electrics in the house, not a great experience...

Main reason I am not even going to plug this thing in, seller will be getting it back very soon! Best thing having been with eBay so many years, they called me after I made a complaint & I expressed my concerns that this seller had sold over 500 fake chargers, said they would investigate & block the account should he be found to sell fake items...

Doubt if they will do much they have the evidence that the items are fake? Samsung are not interested did not want to know about it today unfortunately, if they did take some sort of action it would reduce problems like this left to run wild..
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
Yea I would never use ebay for anything electronic got scammed twice back in the day so just deleted it. For what you save its better to just buy from samsung. Would rather pay £30-£40 from samsung rather than it cost me my house due to fire. 🔥
Stuvan
Voyager
Options
A good tip is to avoid the Samsung branded items as they're much more likely to be faked.

Go for a reputable 3rd party brand, like Anker.

The easiest way to spot a fake is if there's a huge price difference from the ones sold on the Samsung store to the ones sold on eBay/Amazon.