Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV Screen has dark section at bottom of screen

(Topic created on: 13-03-2017 03:38 PM)
Jengar
Apprentice
Options

We have a 55JU6800 TV which is just 18 months old.   We have a problem that started a few months ago.   The screen at the bottom would be a lot darker when the TV was switched on but after a couple of minutes would sort itself out and was fine.  Now, though, the screen is staying dark at the bottom all the time and doesn't clear.   We can still see the picture through it but it is very irritating.   Has anyone else had the same problem and is there a fix for it?

Go to solution
207 REPLIES 207
Nimrod01
Explorer
Options

I've had this problem becoming more evident over several months this year. I've had it repaired under guarantee, now twice and the repair report indicated they replaced the 'back light' in the first instance to fix bottom 'screen blackout' and following repair, about 6 weeks later the top of the screen intermittently started to black out.  Luckily I have 5 year warranty and am now into 3rd year, but I now have lost confidence in Samsung and fully expect my T V to go wrong again. Since the the 2nd repair, it's already showing signs of developing the same fault again.  One one occasion the whole screen darkened and functionality froze, it wouldn't readily change channel and signal was lost. I turned TV off for rest of the night. Next day, all was apparently OK. So I am currently waiting to see what happens next.

Wellsy
Journeyman
Options

281A2EA7-7F74-4448-8E09-B21B9B1F3676.jpeg

Total *****!!!

anjoze
Apprentice
Options
0 Likes
headnail
First Poster
Options

IMG_07522.jpeg

Similar (but worse in my opinion) problem here, TV is not even 3 years old, but of course just shy out of warranty. And this was supposed to be a “flagship” model back in the day KS8000!!!

Contacted local Samsung representatives, sent me off to some authorized service centers, where the only option is to replace the whole LCD panel, which makes no economic sense at this point!

By the looks of things this is a rather common issue, one or more of the edge-lit LEDs overheats and/or burns out, resulting in dimmed image/bands or worse destroying the LCD diffuser layer (which of course you cannot get a stand-alone replacement part from Samsung…)

I have always thought of Samsung as a high quality brand, apparently the truth is they are high quality in terms of advertising/quality but not

I bought 2 Samsung TVs for myself (the one that burned and another one that has what can only be described as a HAIR stuck inside the LCD panel!!!), 1 for my parents and recommended (BIG mistake!) Samsung TVs to 3 friends, who went ahead and bought them….never again!

From hereon it will be Sony, LG even Phillips or Panasonic perhaps, but no more Samsung products!

userbKsBKMEXxj
First Poster
Options

Hello,

I have a 65" model UN65KS8500 that is just shy of 3 years old. It is doing the same thing as seen in this photo. I ran the test and it failed all 3 and gave a message to contact support. 

I thought Samsung was a high quality brand but after seeing all of these same issues I am not so sure. Hoping I don't have to go out and buy a new replacement tv. I would expect this to last a lot longer, especially for the cost. 

B651BF45-F982-4921-8E9B-B76107FD3192.jpeg

0 Likes
1isha
First Poster
Options

Hi there, did you manage to resolve this problem, and how much did it cost?

0 Likes
Nimrod01
Explorer
Options

I had fortunately taken out 5 year guarantee cover with the retailer and I had the back light repaired and replaced on two occasions at nil cost. The last time it showed darkening was in Sept 2019 and so far it has not re-occurred.  I am into my 3rd year of cover now and await developments. So far, so good but we'll have to wait and see.

0 Likes
Jorg56
Journeyman
Options

No, I have not wasted my time with Samsung's such poor made product. I will never buy another Samsung TV and I have told at least 35 people to stay away from their ***** and to spread the word. Samsung could have fixed the problem at a small cost to them, but would rather turn their backs to us. They make  Bad  TV's and it looks like they don't care. Anytime Samsung would want to do the correct thing I would contact all the people and let them know that at least they cared enough, but that will not happen.

lrigpuekam
Apprentice
Options

I tell people frequently how awful their products and customer service are as well. What's worse is on a number of occasions, with customer service, I have mentioned how many people online have had the same issue. They have told me that there is no known issue and when I have given them links to threads on Samsung forums, I have been told that the complaints are irrelevant because it is not the Canadian thread!?!

0 Likes
lrigpuekam
Apprentice
Options

I was never able to fix the problem. Customer service was entirely useless and it cost me less to purchase a new non Samsung tv as opposed to repairing it.

0 Likes