Support

Open search

Dolby Atmos Compatibility

First Poster

Hi guys

I have a Q9FN TV and planning on getting the Q90R soundbar. I have some questions regarding it. Would appreciate some input

1) according to a Samsung Customer Care dude, Samsung TVs are not Dolby Atmos compatible. Meaning, if connected to a soundbar (eg. Q90R soundbar), the TV apps won't transmit Atmos to the soundbar. True?

If not true, then my next question is:

2) Dolby Atmos and DTS-X require eARC and HDMI 2.1 to function. (This is according online techies) True? If so, how do the current TVs (Q900r excluded) transmit these formats?

3) if the above questions are true, what's the best way to get the best out of my TV and Soundbar?

Thanks guys

Ps. My name is not Atmos, I mistakenly typed in the topic in my username slot and can't undo it.

1 REPLY 1
Superuser I
Superuser I

@Atmos wrote:

Hi guys

I have a Q9FN TV and planning on getting the Q90R soundbar. I have some questions regarding it. Would appreciate some input

1) according to a Samsung Customer Care dude, Samsung TVs are not Dolby Atmos compatible. Meaning, if connected to a soundbar (eg. Q90R soundbar), the TV apps won't transmit Atmos to the soundbar. True?

If not true, then my next question is:

2) Dolby Atmos and DTS-X require eARC and HDMI 2.1 to function. (This is according online techies) True? If so, how do the current TVs (Q900r excluded) transmit these formats?

3) if the above questions are true, what's the best way to get the best out of my TV and Soundbar?

Thanks guys

Ps. My name is not Atmos, I mistakenly typed in the topic in my username slot and can't undo it.

Hi @Atmos  (not everyone uses their real name anyway       Your Tv supports Dolby Digital Plus via ARC and the native apps which is the compressed version of Atmos.    https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultimate-surround-sound-guide-different-formats-explained...   A workaround for some Blu Ray Players is the  HDMI out direct to the soundbar. (ones which which have both Audio and Video Outputs)  Likewise DTS via Arc  is not supported, you would need to connect DTS devices direct to your AV receiver or Soundbar via HDMI.    eARC  is not curently supported  Diagram of different connection methods here:

Connections

Excerpt from Rtings:

Audio Passthrough
ARC: Yes (HDMI 4)
eARC support: No
Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC: No
DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC :No
5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC:Yes
5.1 DTS via ARC: No
5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical: Yes
5.1 DTS via Optical: No

Top Liked Authors