Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Atmos Compatibility

(Topic created on: 09-12-2019 12:36 PM)
Atmos
Student
Options

Hi guys

I have a Q9FN TV and planning on getting the Q90R soundbar. I have some questions regarding it. Would appreciate some input

1) according to a Samsung Customer Care dude, Samsung TVs are not Dolby Atmos compatible. Meaning, if connected to a soundbar (eg. Q90R soundbar), the TV apps won't transmit Atmos to the soundbar. True?

If not true, then my next question is:

2) Dolby Atmos and DTS-X require eARC and HDMI 2.1 to function. (This is according online techies) True? If so, how do the current TVs (Q900r excluded) transmit these formats?

3) if the above questions are true, what's the best way to get the best out of my TV and Soundbar?

Thanks guys

Ps. My name is not Atmos, I mistakenly typed in the topic in my username slot and can't undo it.

32 REPLIES 32
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Atmos wrote:

Hi guys

I have a Q9FN TV and planning on getting the Q90R soundbar. I have some questions regarding it. Would appreciate some input

1) according to a Samsung Customer Care dude, Samsung TVs are not Dolby Atmos compatible. Meaning, if connected to a soundbar (eg. Q90R soundbar), the TV apps won't transmit Atmos to the soundbar. True?

If not true, then my next question is:

2) Dolby Atmos and DTS-X require eARC and HDMI 2.1 to function. (This is according online techies) True? If so, how do the current TVs (Q900r excluded) transmit these formats?

3) if the above questions are true, what's the best way to get the best out of my TV and Soundbar?

Thanks guys

Ps. My name is not Atmos, I mistakenly typed in the topic in my username slot and can't undo it.

Hi @Atmos  (not everyone uses their real name anyway :smiling-face:      Your Tv supports Dolby Digital Plus via ARC and the native apps which is the compressed version of Atmos.    https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultimate-surround-sound-guide-different-formats-explained...   A workaround for some Blu Ray Players is the  HDMI out direct to the soundbar. (ones which which have both Audio and Video Outputs)  Likewise DTS via Arc  is not supported, you would need to connect DTS devices direct to your AV receiver or Soundbar via HDMI.    eARC  is not curently supported  Diagram of different connection methods here:

Connections

Excerpt from Rtings:

Audio Passthrough
ARC: Yes (HDMI 4)
eARC support: No
Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC: No
DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC :No
5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC:Yes
5.1 DTS via ARC: No
5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical: Yes
5.1 DTS via Optical: No

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Stardrix
First Poster
Options

Just a follow op 

so my  Samsung 55" UHD LED Smart TV UE55JU6075.  only supprt 

DTS Studio Sound, DTS Premium Sound 5.1 - DTS digital-output, Dolby Digital Plus output

what if i you a resiver there can use all and above? whill it work then 
Dolby Surround, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DTS Neural:X. THX. 

0 Likes
Ekamakk
Student
Options

Quick question.. i have a UA43NU7100G.. it has ARC   and i read that it support Dolbu digital plus.. or are those just the same..? My question is can it play dolby atmos..? On a  sony x8500 just for example.. thank you..

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Ekamakk ,

as Samsung Community EU, we are limited on the support that we can offer on non-EU devices and I would suggest contacting our team in your area to confirm this for you. You can find their contact details here

Ekamakk
Student
Options
Thank you.
0 Likes
James_Bond
Student
Options

Hi. I have Samsung TV EU55 NU7100 series (firmware version is 1290.4) and Samsung HW-Q90 souondbar that supports Dolby Atmos. TV and soundbar are connected via HMDI ARC. Updated both firmware to the latest already. When I turn on Netflix app on my TV and I'll go to audio settings, I can choose output to Dolby Digital Plus but Netflix app only shows 5.1 (I have premium account that supports Dolby Atmos). Does my TV supports Dolby Atmos? I believe it is 2018 made. Thank You.

James_Bond
Student
Options
Hi @Ekamakk. Did you figure out your question? Thanks
0 Likes
Atmos
Student
Options

I have a Q90fn tv and Q90R soundbar. Initially, I could never get my soundbar to play in ATMOS. The native apps on Samsung TVs don't support ATMOS playback. I bought an NVidia Shield android box (the new NVidia box plays codes in Atmos) and connected it directly to my soundbar with the soundbar connected to the tv via ARC. This sorted out my issue. Now all ATMOS content plays in Atmos.

I know it's frustrating to have flagship models of TVs but can't play ATMOS. 

Hope it helps

SsRc
Apprentice
Options

I still have the same problem. No atmos  logo in Netflix. I read that all models N (as yours) need a blue ray between Tv and soundbar to bypass the sound.