Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 26-03-2019 09:41 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

Its a complete shambles, I did notice you can email the CEO via the browser but I suspect that will go straight in the bin.

Richer Sounds also now seem to be being "distant"  they havnt replied to my emails (local store) for two days, gone via the Central support service and they know nothing of the issue with the NU7400's I pointed him to this thread and commented that a replacement had been "agreed" with my local store before they fell silent. Also that there was a precedent for RS to swap out the faulty models with a NU8000.

I think If I dont get any joy these two links will be coming in handy tomorrow

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9203&c=Samsung%20Electronics%20UK-President

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-10747&c=Richer%20Sounds%20Plc-Chief%20Executive

This is the KS thread its pretty shocking to be honest especially from Samsung and DSG Retail.....https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/td-p/358806

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Sorry to hear that RS have gone quiet. I thought that was all done and dusted with them. 

Could anyone reading this who has successfully had their TV exchanged please confirm the following:

Retailer

Branch (if applicable)

Process - did you go via Samsung and did you have to have an engineer's visit first?

Cheers.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks for the KS info, I'll read it later but it looks pretty horrendous.

If I successfully exchange my TV it won't be for a Samsung and I'll never touch any of their products again. 

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi all and Tony! 

Tis moi again. 

I think (could be wrong!), that I'm the only one to have successfully changed my TV on this forum.

I've now got my Panasonic, and it's fantastic. It may be an IPS panel, but as it has local dimming it helps the HDR to really pop.

Build quality is much better than Samsung! Full metal frame, not plastic, and going up a size was nice too.

AO is my retailer. Good company, brilliant customer service, and gave me £100 off the next set which really helped.

As I said before, to anyone struggling, look up your customer rights. Start a paper trail, even if you don't get a reply from your retailer/Samsung. Emails etc.

It seems that most people here have bought their TV, and owned it after 30 days but before 6 months. If so, one important point is this: if your TV starts developing a fault after 30 days, but before 6 months, then it's on the retailer to prove the mistake. 

I'll never be buying a Samsung again. 

Anyway, any questions, fire them my way. I'll be happy to help. 

Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

Hoping to get some resolution soon from either RS or Samsung direct, if RS come through (I think they will) like artofMotion I shall be avoiding Samsung products going forwards as while the quality of some of their products is excellent their CS is among the worst I have had to deal with.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi all and Tony! 

Tis moi again. 

I think (could be wrong!), that I'm the only one to have successfully changed my TV on this forum.

I've now got my Panasonic, and it's fantastic. It may be an IPS panel, but as it has local dimming it helps the HDR to really pop.

Build quality is much better than Samsung! Full metal frame, not plastic, and going up a size was nice too.

AO is my retailer. Good company, brilliant customer service, and gave me £100 off the next set which really helped.

As I said before, to anyone struggling, look up your customer rights. Start a paper trail, even if you don't get a reply from your retailer/Samsung. Emails etc.

It seems that most people here have bought their TV, and owned it after 30 days but before 6 months. If so, one important point is this: if your TV starts developing a fault after 30 days, but before 6 months, then it's on the retailer to prove the mistake. 

I'll never be buying a Samsung again. 

Anyway, any questions, fire them my way. I'll be happy to help. 

Hi again, I'm glad you're enjoying the Panasonic. 

I agree with you and Steve about Samsung. Shocking customer service and they're losing a lot of future revenue by refusing to deal effectively with this issue. I've bought their phones, laptops and other things before, but no longer will I do so.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

@bIOforger wrote:

@AQuALoRd wrote:

Just to say that after my problem 2 days ago I didn't see the pop up anymore and my free space is above 120MB.

As I said I updated some applications by reinstalling them and it worked. That is much less painful than resetting the Smart Hub account.

I guess the error is due to a race condition appearing when the disk is filled by temporal files or it wants to update many apps at the same file.

After the first time I had the issue in December this is the first time that it was repeated and I solved it in 5 minutes so although an update by Samsung would be welcome I think I can live with it.

Been there, done that, error will popup again next month. Some people have even been unable to update after removing any apps, as the freespace was still misreported.

The point is that to avoid the pop up you have to "re-install" and not update, to get out of the deadlock. Trying to remove apps is pointless because as everybody points out most of the apps cannot be removed. Once you re-install a couple of apps (with the newest version) there will be less applications to update and less free space required, so the pop up will disappear.

And it's not very likely you will see the message every month. That only would happen if you have lots of apps, because many of them are updated with a lower frequency. Most of the apps that I had where updated on January or December.

I still think this should not happen (and I retwitted and liked some of your messages in Twitter). This is just to help the people that think they can do nothing by resetting Smart Hub to get out of the pop-up block. This method is much much less painful.

Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

To be honest, we are as they say "small potatoes" to a global brand like Samsung, as it's unlikely our plight will ever gain mainstream media attention, so will do no damage to the brand.

It does look like that retailers are having to deal with the fall out from Samsung ineptitude, While RS isn't a small company they are an independent one and don't have the massive corporate backing of someone like John Lewis. 

Fingers crossed at the moment it looks like RS are playing ball again and are going to sort me out I have had contact with them today and they are going to provide me with a list of alternative models they will offer in exchange for the 7400.

Hoping for the SK8100's :smiling-face:

AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

I purchased my TV on Amazon Spain and yesterday I went to see the comments. One of the most voted ones was from one guy complaining about our "problem". It had around 60 likes. Then there was other one pretty similar with 20 likes or so.

I guess they already know the issue, and even if they are big, there will be hundreds of customers in every country returning their TV, so this cannot be unnoticed. I guess also the issue will not be easy to fix. On one side there's the hardware limitation of 1Gb, and on the other they cannot let remove applications that they will be committed to not allow to uninstall. In any case if the wanted they could do it. I don't think is so hard to implement a smarter update procedure, cleaning temporal data and installing applications step by step.

0 Likes
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

RS Have agreed to swap out my TV for another model of my choosing, just trying to work a deal out for the LG 49SK8100

They did offer a 55 Phillips or Panasonic as a direct swap, but I think I prefer the LG.