Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Smart Tv and External Hard Drive: compatibilities

(Topic created on: 02-12-2017 02:51 PM)
Rick17
Explorer
Options

Hello, everyone.

I have a Samsung Smart TV, the model is UE32M5505A. I want to connect this TV to an external hard drive, not to record, but to play videos. The hard drives recommended by Samsung (I have already contacted them about this issue) are those which have a maximum of 2TB capacity and which have their own power adapter. The problem is that there are no external hard drives in the market with this requirements, because all those which have 2TB or less do not have a power adapter, and those which do have, are all above 2TB of capacity. Samsung could not help with this issue when I contacted them because of this paradox.

So, is there anyone here with the same problem? And is there anyone with suggestions or solutions to this issue?

Thank you.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

For a 2.5" hard-drive 1 amp should be amble.

Regards

Phil

View solution in context

17 REPLIES 17
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

You should be fine using the HDD 2 amp socket on the TV that is marked for Hard drives.  I'd recommend building your own using a 2.5" drive ([perhaps a 2.5" 2TB Seagate Baracuda) and something like the ORICO 2.5 Inch Aluminium USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure Case (search Amazon), this is working faultlessly from the USB socket on my Samsung TV and draws nowhere near 2 amps and is quiet and plenty fast enough for video.

Support tend to recommend an external power supply for no other reason it seems than something to suggest, I'm not aware its fixed any problems anyone has been having, and the 2amp USB port has been designed into the TV for just such a purpose, to power a hard-drive.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

You should be fine using the HDD 2 amp socket on the TV that is marked for Hard drives.  I'd recommend building your own using a 2.5" drive ([perhaps a 2.5" 2TB Seagate Baracuda) and something like the ORICO 2.5 Inch Aluminium USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure Case (search Amazon), this is working faultlessly from the USB socket on my Samsung TV and draws nowhere near 2 amps and is quiet and plenty fast enough for video.

Support tend to recommend an external power supply for no other reason it seems than something to suggest, I'm not aware its fixed any problems anyone has been having, and the 2amp USB port has been designed into the TV for just such a purpose, to power a hard-drive.

Regards

Phil

I use a 1 ter Seagate powered by the TV with no probs, now my recording is working.

0 Likes
Rick17
Explorer
Options

I'm thinking on buying a a  2,5'' SEAGATE Expansion Portable 1TB or 2TB, or a 2,5''  TOSHIBA 1TB (or 2TB) Canvio Basic. They are more affordable for me, right now. What do you think?

0 Likes
Rick17
Explorer
Options

Just one more thing: i've checked and the USB port for HDD is only 5 volts/1 amp...

0 Likes
Solution
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

For a 2.5" hard-drive 1 amp should be amble.

Regards

Phil

Hestia
Journeyman
Options

If you go to "Sources" in your smart hub can you see your drive is attached if you connected a drive to a usb port? And if not, when you turn your TV in standby and turn it on again after 30 sec. you can see it's attached? Or do you still need to buy a drive?

0 Likes
DCH1
First Poster
Options

There are lots of usb HDD in 2.5" or 3.5". The larger format are probably all powered. I just rebuilt a Seagate external 2TB with its own power supply and usb3 interface. However, i am currently running a LaCie (unpowered) "rugged" drive (2TB). It shuts off with the TV - no problems so far...

0 Likes
rodopica
First Poster
Options

I'm using a toshiba canvio basics 3TB USB 3.0 on my tv samsung series 6 and it works perfectly fine. Although my tv uses this hard drive in USB 2.0 mode (I have leds on my hard drive that tell if the connection is USB 2 or 3) i can watch 4k movies without problem.

Rick17
Explorer
Options

That's good to hear, Rodopica. My TV is a Samsung Series 5, though. Will it work fine on my TV also?

0 Likes