Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Warranty Transfer on a Second Hand Watch if it's bought from eBay?

(Topic created on: 05-04-2023 12:54 PM)
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
If I were to buy a second hand Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro LTE on eBay from a random seller, not a company, and the watch was originally bought in the UK will Warranty transfer or not? I was of the assumption that the warranty (24 months for Smartwatches in UK) started when the item was originally purchased by the person selling the watch then the warranty is attached to the product thereafter and not the person but someone I've spoke to has said I'd need to get proof of purchase if I was buying from eBay? I've not had much success searching thus far so thought I'd throw it out to anyone who might know on here. Cheers. 
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
If any thing went wrong, and you do contact samsung to repair whilst under warranty. They will ask for proof of purchase. So you do need the original receipt.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/what-is-the-warranty-status-of-my-samsung-mobile-d....
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Cheers for that 👍🏻 One more question though, what happens if say the eBay seller passes on the proof of purchase and you go for a repair but the name and address on the proof of purchase is not your own. Will that be okay?
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Tell them it was a gift 😂
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Yeah seems logical 😄 Still not sure why they would need proof of purchase then. Why not just have the device warranty start when the first person purchases it until 24 months later. Why need proof that someone down the line purchased it when surely that's obvious.
AndrewL
Options

@RXM: If we were to enter your device details into our system, then the model number and serial number would show the remaining warranty on the device, however this would be based on the manufacture date, and not the purchase date. This is why proof of purchase may be requested in some instances, as we may need to verify the actual purchase date to see if the watch is still inside the warranty period. 

RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
That makes total sense now you mention it. I remember having a similar issue with a Seagate Hard drive that I bought once. It showed barely any warranty left at all and I had to get in touch with support to fix it. It must have been on that Argos shelf for a seriously long time 😄

So in future if I sell a Samsung product on eBay or wherever that's still in warranty, I should also provide the invoice for the buyer? Is there any danger in providing such an invoice. I'm sure it's got full name, address, phone number, email, card used (with last 4 digits on show) etc. I'm not sure i'd want to provide that, though I'm probably being irrational as I can't immediately think of anything that would cause issues.
0 Likes