Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(UK) S8+ Gear VR Release Date?

(Topic created on: 25-04-2017 01:34 PM)
ReeceF11
Journeyman
Options

Hi guys so I picked up my S8+ from my carrier EE on the 20th and they told me that the VR isn't available till the 28th when the phones are officially released. I've since been again to another EE store and asked about the release date and they said its released in another month.

Is there any official release date for the Gear VR for the S8 & S8+?

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi @ReeceF11,

You can pick them up but they are the ones without the controller for about £45

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Gear-Gen-Virtual-Reality/dp/B01LX1LL6P/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=...

The edition with the remote is not out yet and is about £130ish

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official-samsung-galaxy-gear-vr-headset-with-motion-controller-p62958.htm

but you can pick up the controller later if you want it or get and bluetooth type controller.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official-samsung-galaxy-gear-vr-motion-controller-p63574.htm

Hope that helps you out. :smiling-face:

0 Likes
ReeceF11
Journeyman
Options
So the Gen 2 Gear VR fits the S8+ only the new one has a controller?
0 Likes
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

I think so as they all support the same older phones inc note 7 (which had usb-c) but if you want to be 100% sure wait for a MOD to say the Okay on it just in case as I can not be 100% sure myself not seeing them 1st hand.

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

wait for a MOD to say the Okay on it just in case as I can not be 100% sure myself not seeing them 1st hand.

Thanks for this post guys...I had the very same question...

Are there any mods out there that can verify if the Gen 2 VR gear will work with an S8 Plus ??     Obviously the USB-C connector and size of the S8 plus would be the two things that I would be concerned about before buying a Gen2 VR ?   Would an S8 plus even fit into the Gen2 VR ?  

Thanks

Smiley

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
ReeceF11
Journeyman
Options

I tried my s8+ in the gen2 VR at the EE store and it did fit. I spoke to a Samsung employee on their live chat and he said the gen2s software is compatible with the VR so just to be on the safe side I'm going to wait until the new VR is released. He did tell me it should be released this week or next.

I wish this was more advertised on Samsung's website for details.

0 Likes
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

I had heard it was the same day as the S8 release date :smiling-face:

0 Likes
ReeceF11
Journeyman
Options

I really hope so haha I've been so excited for it. It's my first samsung phone as I've been iPhone since the 3g and I love this Samsung way more than any iPhone I've had.

0 Likes
kempouk
Apprentice
Options

I am in the same boat. I have had my eye on this off a while now and samsung have no clue.

Because they are giving it away free to the yanks and the s8 is the best phone on the planet there will be no vr's for us poor brits.

Samsung are a joke doing this.

And the free speaker is a pitiful excuse in my opinion.

0 Likes
kempouk
Apprentice
Options
We are not interested in this junk we want to use our s8 on the vr you ***** and that junk isn't comparable.
Stop spamming old junk we don't want it.
0 Likes